Introduction & Materials
Planning the Program
- Program Agenda - sample agenda for a three hour program includes format, sequence of presentations and segment options.
Format is in PDF online; Powerpoint version is also available. Email us at email@example.com
- PowerPoint Slides - Ally Toolkit slides with talking points to use in programming and discussion. Contact us for the customizable PowerPoint version.
Handouts and Articles to use as background information for the Toolkit
- SOGI LGBT Terminology 101
- Ice Breakers
- GLAAD Ally's Guide to terminology
- Comprehensive LGBTQI terminology
- Vocabulary Quiz - working with the LGBTQ Community
- Do's & Don'ts
- "When it's ok to say Gay"
- "Is It In to Be Out?" - Advice on being out on your resume and interviews.
- SOGI Best Practices Guide
- Gender Pronouns - understanding gender pronouns
Written Scenarios and Discussion Guide:
A Library of Written Scenarios for large or small group discussion with presenters.
Scenario 1 - Workplace Discrimination
Scenario 2 - The Coming Out Process
Scenario 3 - Job Satisfaction
Scenario 4 - Job Performance
Scenario 5 - Family Issues
Scenario 6 - Gender Stereotypes and Physical Appearance
Scenario 7 - Harassment
SUPPORT THE SOGI COMMISSION
The ABA Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity's How to Be an Ally Toolkit was made possible through the generosity of AT&T.
If you find these resources useful, please consider making a donation to SOGI through the ABA Fund for Justice and Education.
- Burleson, William E., Bi America: Myths, Truths, and Struggles of an Invisible Community (2005)
- Danielson, Marivel T., Homecoming Queers: Desire and Difference in Chicana Latina Cultural Production (2009)
- Howard, Sheena C., Black Queer Identity Matrix: Towards and Integrated Queer of Color Framework (2014)
- Leong, Russell, Ed., Asian American Sexualities: Dimensions of the gay & lesbian experience (1996)
- Ochs, Robyn & Rowley, Sarah E., Eds., Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals around the World, 2d. Ed (2009)
- Rifkin, Mark, When did Indians become Straight?: Kinship, the History of Sexuality, and Native Sovereignty (2011)
- San Filippo, Maria, The B Word: Bisexuality in Contemporary Film and Television (2013)
- Weinberg, Martin S. et al, Dual Attractions: Understanding Bisexuality (1994)
- EEO Desk-Side Guide
- EEOC LGBT Field Guidance
- What You Should Know About EEOC and the Enforcement Protections for LGBT Workers
- Title VII Coverage for LGBT Discrimination
Another helpful resource always being updated:
Comments, Suggestions or Questions?
Please contact Skip Harsch (312.988.5137)
We would love to hear about your experiences using the Toolkit.