Introduction & Materials
Planning the Program
- Program Agenda - sample agenda for a three hour program includes format, sequence of presentations and segment options.
Format is in PDF online; Powerpoint version is also available. Email us at email@example.com
- PowerPoint Slides - Ally Toolkit slides with talking points to use in programming and discussion. Contact us for the customizable PowerPoint version.
- Handouts and Articles to use as background information for the Toolkit
- SOGI LGBT Terminology 101
- Ice Breakers
- Comprehensive LGBT Terminology
- Quiz of Essential Vocabulary for Working With the LGBT Community
- Do's and Don'ts
- SOGI Best Practices Guide
- Pronoun Etiquette presented by Pidgeon Pagonis
LGBT Implicit Bias
- View the SOGI Implicit Bias Webinar: See below or Click here to view in a new window
Written Scenarios and Discussion Guide
A Library of Written Scenarios for large or small group discussion with presenters.
Scenario 1 - Workplace Discrimination
Scenario 2 - The Coming Out Process
Scenario 3 - Job Satisfaction
Scenario 4 - Job Performance
Scenario 5 - Family Issues
Scenario 6 - Gender Stereotypes and Physical Appearance
Scenario 7 - Harassment
All Scenarios in One Document
SUPPORT THE SOGI COMMISSION
The ABA Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity's How to Be an Ally Toolkit was made possible through the generosity of AT&T.
If you find these resources useful, please consider making a
donation to the SOGI Fund for Justice and Education.
- Burleson, William E., Bi America: Myths, Truths, and Struggles of an Invisible Community (2005)
- Danielson, Marivel T., Homecoming Queers: Desire and Difference in Chicana Latina Cultural Production (2009)
- Howard, Sheena C., Black Queer Identity Matrix: Towards and Integrated Queer of Color Framework (2014)
- Leong, Russell, Ed., Asian American Sexualities: Dimensions of the gay & lesbian experience (1996)
- Ochs, Robyn & Rowley, Sarah E., Eds., Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals around the World, 2d. Ed (2009)
- Rifkin, Mark, When did Indians become Straight?: Kinship, the History of Sexuality, and Native Sovereignty (2011)
- San Filippo, Maria, The B Word: Bisexuality in Contemporary Film and Television (2013)
- Weinberg, Martin S. et al, Dual Attractions: Understanding Bisexuality (1994)
- EEO Desk-Side Guide
- EEOC LGBT Field Guidance
- What You Should Know About EEOC and the Enforcement Protections for LGBT Workers
- Title VII Coverage for LGBT Discrimination
Another helpful resource always being updated:
- SOGI Speakers Bureau
Comments, Suggestions or Questions?
Please contact Skip Harsch Phone: 312-988-5137. We would love to hear about your experiences using the Toolkit.