Restore Honor, Restore Dignity:
Updating Veteran Certificates
Co-Sponsored by SOGI and OUTSERVE
This free webinar program will train attorneys on how to help LGBT veterans—transgender veterans in changing the name and gender marker on their military records, and LGB veterans who were discharged under Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and prior policies in removing the offensive evidence of those policies from their discharge paperwork.
Currently, there is no publicly available guidance from the Department of Defense on how to update your information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and on the DD214 Military Discharge Record.
This program is part of ABA President Linda Klein’s veteran’s service projects.
- Peter Perkowski, Counsel, OutServe-SLDN, Inc.
- Deana Cairo, Partner, Tucker Ellis LLP
- Stephen Lessard, Senior Associate, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Air Force Documents:
Air Force Discharge Upgrade
- Air Force Instruction 36-2603: Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (5 March 2012)
- Air Force Guidance Memorandum to AFI 36-3206, Administrative Discharge Procedures For Commissioned Officers
- Air Force Guidance Memorandum to AFI 36-3207, Separating Commissioned Officers, Chapter 3
- Air Force Instruction 36-3208; Administrative Separation of Airmen; Incorporating Through Change 5
- Air Force Instruction 36-3208; Separation of Incorporating Through Change 6 (19 October 2011)
- Air Force Pamphlet 36-3210; Procedural Guide for Enlisted Administrative Discharge Boards; Incorporating Change
Air Force Trans Name Change:
Navy Discharge Upgrades:
- Department of the Navy; Section 1553 of Title 10, U.S. Code, the Service Discharge Review Boards; Repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"