- Topic: Youth in Congregate Care: Far from Home, Far from Safe
- Thursday, January 21, 2021
1pm-3pm EST / 10am-12pm PST
The Troubled Teen Industry (TTI) is a network of private youth programs, therapeutic boarding schools, residential treatment centers, religious academies, wilderness programs and drug rehabilitation centers. This industry has thrived for decades despite constant allegations of child abuse, neglect, dangerous treatment practices, and negligence resulting in death.
Thousands of youth are held within the Troubled Teen Industry every year. Due to lack of government oversight, these private youth programs operate with near impunity. Children, between the ages of 5-18 years old, can be held against their will, with no due process or criminal charges for an undetermined amount of time, sometimes years.
Several practices are hallmarks of these abusive programs:
- Basic human rights violations
- Inhumane, degrading discipline
- Inappropriate use of seclusion and restraints (physical, mechanical, and chemical)
- Medical and nutritional neglect
- Forcing sedatives or psychiatric medication without psychiatric evaluation
- Severe restrictions of communication with parents, lawyers and advocates
- Substandard psychotherapeutic interventions by unqualified staff
- Conversion and Aversion therapy
- No access to Report Abuse/ No access to authorities, advocates, or legal representation
- Restricted Communication
- Restricted contact with family/no friends
- Parental Alientation
- Closely monitored communication
- Retaliation for reporting abuse
- Sexual assault, harassment, grooming and staff/student sexual relationships
- Financial opportunism and deceptive marketing
Join us for a deep dive into this egregious “multi-billion” dollar industry in an exclusive panel series that will shed light on the regulatory failures, current initiatives, and real survivor stories. Keynote speakers will include: Paris Hilton, a vocal institutional abuse survivor, Sen. Sara Gelser (D-OR), champion of troubled teen industry reform which sparked her movement to bring Oregon’s most vulnerable youth home, and other experts in the industry!
CART services will be available.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROGRAM IS NOT FOR CLE CREDIT.
- Paris Hilton
- Senator Sarah Gelser
- Misha Osherovich
- Jen Robison
- Caroline Lorson
- Dr. Janet Parker
- Phil Elberg
- Chelsea Filer
- Eileen Gillan
Special thanks to the ABA Troubled Teen working group:
Prudence Beidler Carr
Sen. Sara Gelser