The Commission on Hispanic Legal Rights & Responsibilities presents its third iteration of the Legal Summit of the Americas at ABA Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado. This 3 part CLE program will bring together lawyers for the United States, Mexico, and Canada to discuss and analyze cross-border legal and societal issues.
Topics will include:
- Environmental issues
- Labor & Employment issues
- Immigration issues
* PLEASE NOTE: This CLE is complimentary, but registration for Annual Meeting is required.
- Thomas Saenz - President and General Counsel of Mexican American Legal Defense & Educational Fund (MALDEF)
Exploring Cross-border Environmental Legal issues in the United States, Mexico, and Canada.
The United States, Mexico, and Canada continue to advance climate agendas that are key to meeting global climate goals. Our panelists made up of lawyers from the U.S., Mexico, and Canada will review and discuss important climate actions taken by their administrations, take stock on their effectiveness, and opine on current and future action that will be essential to ensuring a sustainable, resilient, and just future. The conversation will include legal topics related to the energy transition, transportation, infrastructure, private sector investment, green jobs, indigenous rights, and environmental justice.
- Ignacia S. Moreno -CEO & Principal, The iMoreno Group, PLC (Washington, D.C. Metro Area )
Click names for bios.
- Todd Guererro - Partner, Chair, National Energy Group, Kutak Rock LLP (Minneapolis, MN)
- Mariana Herrero – Partner, Galicia Abogados, S.C. (Ciudad de México)
- Fredrick Pfaeffle – Senior Advisor, Office of General Counsel, United States Department of Energy (Washington, DC)
- Carlos Evans - Director, Office of Environmental Quality and Sustainability, ( Dallas, TX)
- Jonathan Kahn - Partner, Blake Cassels & Graydon LLP (Toronto, Canada)
Session 1 | Program Materials
- Environmental Panel: Canadian, Mexican, and U.S. Actions on Climate Change Bibliography
- Presentation - Todd Guerrero
- Comprehensive Environmental and Climate Action Plan (CECAP): Climate Mitigation and Adaptation
Presentation: Carlos Evans
A Survey of Labor and Employment Laws Across North America
Investment in human capital and workforce management is key for regional competitiveness and global mobility in United States-Mexico-Canada partnerships. With the expansion of remote work and the hunt for high quality talent, the lines have become blurred for modern businesses with multi-national operations across North America. This panel will survey labor and employment laws and practical approaches for effectively managing human capital across North America, taking a look at the legal intersections and distinctions among the laws of the United States, Mexico, and Canada.
- Jose Jara - Counsel, Fox Rothschild LLP (Morristown, NJ)
-Click names for bios.
Session 2 | Program Materials
- Adoption of Bill 96 modifying the Charter of the French Language: Impacts on employers- Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG)
- A Survey of Labor and Employment Laws Across North America - Marian Zapata-Rossa, Snell & Wilmer
The Response to the Displacement of Peoples in the United States, Mexico, and Canada - A Look Into Immigration and Asylum in North America
The United Nations released a report this year indicating that "[a]t the end of 2022, 108.4 million people worldwide were forcibly displaced as a result of persecution, conflict, violence, human rights violations and events seriously disturbing public order." The United States, Mexico, and Canada have taken a variety of approaches to deal with the displacement of peoples in the Americas from all over the world. Panelists will discuss their specific country's specific laws and policy regarding immigration and asylum law.
- Rodolfo S. Monterrosa. Jr. – Founding Attorney, Monterrosa Law Group, LLC (United States)
-Click names for bios.
Session 3 | Program Materials
- The Ukraine Conflict and Canada's Response
Presentation: Sergio Karas
- Federal Judge Blocks Biden Administration's New Asylum Policy - New York Times, 2023
- Democratic Law Makers slam the lack of attorney access for asylum-seekers in Border Patrol Custody - PBS News Hour, August 2023
- Immigration Panel: Overview of US Immigration Laws & Policies on Asylum - Kathleen Glynn, Grub & Eirich