UPDATE: CBLA 2020 will be virtual "Taste Of CBLA"
The Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy (CBLA) is a joint initiative of the American Bar Association, its Commissions on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession and Disability Rights, the Hispanic National Bar Association, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, the National Bar Association, the National LGBT Bar Association, and the National Native American Bar Association.
The CBLA is a coordinated effort to strengthen the pipeline of diverse bar association leaders by providing leadership training and professional development programs which will benefit current and future leaders of bar associations, and the legal profession overall.
On December 10-11, 2020, the CBLA is excited to host three panels discussing the origin and purpose of the CBLA, exciting lessons on bar leadership from giants in the profession, and how bar leadership has helped attendee's community, career, and visibility. This is a small "taste" of the larger, more robust academy that will occur in 2021. We look forward to seeing you at the panels, and stay tuned for more information on CBLA 2021!
Panel No. 1
What is CBLA?
Summary: This panel will provide an overview of what CBLA is, why it was formed, and its goals and accomplishments.
Date of Seminar: Dec. 10 at 3-4 p.m. ET
- Moderator: President Trish Refo, American Bar Assoc.
- Past-President Pedro Torres-Diaz, Hispanic Nat'l Bar Assoc.
- Past President Wendy Shiba, Nat'l Asian Pacific Am. Bar Assoc.
- Past-President Jen Weddle, Nat'l Native American Bar Assoc.
Panel No. 2
Bar Leadership in the time of Crisis?
Summary: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. But what happens when the unplanned happens? National bar leaders discuss instances that changed the direction of their bar year, and how to be prepared to handle unknown issues.
Date/Time of Seminar: Dec. 11 at 12-1:30 ET
- Moderator: Karl Riley, National Bar Assoc. (NBA)
- President Trish Refo, American Bar Assoc.
- Past President Irene Oria, Hispanic Nat'l Bar Assoc.
- Past President Bonnie Wolf, Nat'l Asian Pacific Am. Bar Assoc.
- President Rippi Gill, South Asian Bar Assoc. of N. America
- President-Elect Carlos Moore, NBA
Panel No. 3
Transitioning Bar Leadership to the Local, Regional, and National Levels.
Summary: One of the CBLA's main goals is to increase the representation of diverse attorneys in bar leadership across the nation. This panel will focus on how CBLA alumni used their newly honed skills to elevate their brand from a local to a national platform, and everything in between.
Date/Time of Seminar: Dec. 11 at 1:30-3 p.m. EDT
- Moderator: Bryan Browning, Hispanic Nat'l Bar Assoc. (HNBA)
- President-Elect Reginald Turner, American Bar Assoc.
- Past President Hon. Peter Reyes, HNBA
- Jim Holmes, Nat'l LGBT Bar Assoc.
- President-Elect Samir Mehta, South Asian Bar Assoc. of N. America
- Liani Reeves, Nat'l Asian Pacific Am. Bar Assoc.