December 29, 2020
Georgia Death Penalty Assessment Report and Supplemental Materials
Resources on the Administration of the Death Penalty in Georgia
- Analysis of Death Penalty Cases By Circuit, Georgia Capital Defenders (2004).
- Michael Mears, Lethal Injections and the Georgia Supreme Court's New Millennium, 28 Champion 33 (2004).
- Michael Mears and Holly Geerdes, Death Penalty Law, 55 Mercer L. Rev. 175 (2003).
- Marion Chartoff, The Georgia Indigent Defense Act of 2003, Champion, Aug. 2003.
- Status of Indigent Defense in Georgia: A Study for the Chief Justice's Commission on Indigent Defense, Part II: Analysis of Implementing Alabama v. Shelton in Georgia, Admin. Office of the Georgia Courts/The Spangenberg Group, June 9, 2003.
- Alison Couch, Legal Defense of Indigents: Create the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council to Set State-Wide Standards for the Legal Representation of Indigent Defendants and Provide Budget Authority to such council, 20 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 105 (2003).
- 'If you cannot afford a lawyer . . . .', The Southern Center for Human Rights, Jan. 2003.
- Michael Mears, Death Penalty Law, 54 Mercer L. Rev. 245 (2002).
- Report of Chief Justice's Commission on Indigent Defense (2002).
- Spangenberg Report: Status of Indigent Defense in Georgia, Part I, Spangenberg Group (2002).
- Atlanta Journal and Constitution Series, April 2002
Karen Wilkes, Defending the Poor: First Person: Not yet "land of the free" when it comes to indigent criminal defense, April 22, 2002.
Bill Rankin, Defending the Poor: Part Two: A cheap dose of due process in Dodge Series, April 22, 2002.
Bill Rankin, Defending the Poor: Part Three: Other states offer lessons in reform Series, April 23, 2002.
- The Atlanta Journal and Constitution Series, 2001-2002.
In Coweta, poor give up rights behind closed doors: When Justice is a Crime Series, July 18, 2001.
'No fair trial unless you can buy one': When Justice is a Crime Series, Sept. 9, 2001.
State should pay for indigent defense: When Justice is a Crime Series, Dec. 31, 2001.
Sentence mentally ill murdered to life: When Justice is a Crime Series, Feb. 25, 2002.
Killer at mercy of incompetence: When Justice is a Crime Series, June 13, 2002.
- Yearly Report 2002, The Multi-County Public Defender Office (2002).
- Michael Mears, Death Penalty Law, 53 Mercer L. Rev. 233 (2001).
- Richard W. Creswell, Georgia Courts in the 21st Century the Report of the Supreme Court of Georgia Blue Ribbon Commission on the Judiciary, 53 Mercer L. Rev. 1 (2001).
- Report of the Growing Crisis in the City Court of Atlanta, Office of the Public Defender, The Spangenberg Group, April 2001.
- Promises to Keep: Achieving Fairness and Equal Justice for the Poor in Criminal Cases, Southern Center for Human Rights, Nov. 2000.
- Mike Mears and Ken Driggs, Georgia Death Penalty Law, 52 Mercer L. Rev. 29 (2000).
- Jill Wasserman, Has Habeas Corpus been Suspended in Georgia? Representing Indigent Prisoners on Georgia's Death Row, 17 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 605 (2000).
- Jan A. Wheeler, Karen L. Worthington, Trish McCann, and Debbie Phillips, Once we Know Who, What, and Where, Will We Ask Why?: Demographics and Dispositions of Children Processed in the Adult Criminal Justice System in Georgia, 18 Q. L. R. 597 (1999).
- A Review of the Legal Aid and Defender Clinic at the University of Georgia, The Spangenberg Group, July 1999.
- Michael Mears, Georgia Needs a Racial Justice Act, Georgia Capital Defenders, Aug. 1998.
- Michael Mears, Executing Children in Georgia, Georgia Capital Defenders.
- A Review of the Fulton County Conflict Defender, The Spangenberg Group, June 1998.
- 1998 Yearly Report of the Multi-County Public Defender Office: A Division of the
Georgia Indigent Defense Council (1998).
- Jennifer N. Ide, The Case of Exzavious Lee Gibson: A Georgia Court's (Constitutional?) Denial of a Federal Right, 47 Emory L. J. 1079 (1998).
- A Preference for Vengeance: The Death Penalty and the Treatment of Prisoners in Georgia, the Southern Center for Human Rights, June 1996.
- Let Justice be Done: Equally, Fairly, and Ethnic Bias in the Court System, Georgia Supreme Court Commission on Racial and Ethnic Bias in the Court System, published in 12 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 687 (1996).
- The Death Penalty in Georgia: Racist, Arbitrary and Unfair, Amnesty International, June 1996.
- Chattahoochee Judicial District: Buckle of the Death Belt: The Death Penalty in Microcosm, Death Penalty Information Center (1991).
- National Law Journal Series: Fatal Defense, June 11, 1990
Marianne LaValle, Birthplace of Modern U.S. Death Penalty
Marianne LaValle, Questionable Principles
Marianne La Valle, Trial Lawyer as Fellow Prisoner
Marianne La Valle, Learning the Law in Half a Day
- Marion T. Pope, Jr., A Study of the Unified Appeal Procedure in Georgia, 23 Ga. L. Rev. 185 (1988).
- Arnold Barnett, Some Distribution Patterns for the Georgia Death Sentence, 18 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1327 (1985).
- David C. Baldus, Charles A. Pulaski, Jr., and George Woodworth, Monitoring and Evaluating Contemporary Death Sentencing Systems: Lessons from Georgia, 18 U.C. David L. Rev. 1375 (1985).
- David C. Baldus, Charles Pulaski, and George Woodworth, Comparative Review of the Death Sentences: An Empirical Study of the Georgia Experience, 74 J. Crim. L. and Criminology 661 (1983).