This program examines the impact of structural and systemic racism and its impact on the environment, specifically environmental justice, and intentionality. Panelists address the ongoing crisis in Flint, MI and the continued failure to provide sufficient relief; tribal environmental issues including the Dakota Access Pipeline, Line 3 and the Trump Administration's 2020 waiver of environmental and cultural laws to allow the destruction of tribal burial grounds for the southern border wall; and the intersectionality of environmental justice and COVID-19 in terms of higher pollution and infection rates among people of color.
- Nadia Ahmad, Associate Professor of Law, Barry University Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law; Council Member, ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice; Co-Chair, Environmental Justice Committee, ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice
- Lindsay Heck, Associate, White & Case LLP
- Barrett Holmes Pitner, Founder and Philosopher-In-Chief, The Sustainable Culture Lab; Lecturer, The George Washington University; Contributor, The Daily Beast and BBC
- Tara Houska, Founder, Giniw Collective
- Jeremy Orr, Staff Attorney, Safe Water Initiative, NRDC; Vice Chair, Environmental Justice Committee, ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice
- Scott Wilson Badenoch, Jr., Co-Chair, Environmental Justice Committee, ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice
Joint Sponsor: ABA Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice
Co-Sponsors: ABA Center for Human Rights, ABA Center for Public Interest Law, ABA Commission on Hispanic Legal Rights & Responsibilities, ABA Commission on Homelessness & Poverty, ABA Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, ABA Death Penalty Representation Project, ABA Diversity and Inclusion Center, ABA Law Student Division, ABA Section of State and Local Government Law, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, ABA Young Lawyers Division
CRSJ provides free webinars and resources for legal professionals and advocates nationwide and relies on generous donor support and volunteer service. Your charitable gift ensures that we continue to address the deepening crises in our collective pursuit of advancing law and justice. Thank you!