Voting is a fundamental right in the United States for all individuals. This webinar focuses on that right for voters with disabilities. Our panel discusses how the disabled community fared in the 2020 elections with vastly expanded voting by mail, consolidated polling places, persistent privacy concerns, and limited resources, among other barriers, and the path forward. After exploring these experiences and providing international comparisons, panelists provide their feedback and recommendations regarding the accessibility and ballot access standards in the ABA Standing Committee on Election Law’s Election Administration Guidelines and Commentary and also examine the “Options to Consider for Voters with Disabilities” in the ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice’s Voting Rights Toolkit. Have we met or approached hoped for progress outlined in ABA Resolution 14A113B on the accessibility of the electoral process.
- Denise Avant, Member, Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind; Chair, ABA Commission on Disability Rights
- Lou Ann Blake, Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives, National Federation of the Blind
- Eve Hill, Partner, Brown, Goldstein & Levy LLP; Former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Lia Sifuentes Davis, Senior Litigation Attorney, Disability Rights Texas
- Chad Vickery, Vice President, Global Strategy and Technical Leadership, International Foundation for Electoral Systems
- Jason D. Kaune, Partner, Nielsen Merksamer Parrinello Gross & Leoni, LLP; Programming Chair, ABA Standing Committee on Election Law
Co-Sponsor: ABA Section of State and Local Government Law
America Votes! Challenges to Modern Election Law and Voting Rights, Fourth Edition
Edited by Benjamin E Griffith and John Hardin Young
Accessible Absentee Voting Fact Sheet | National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
Election Access Resources | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
Voting, Accessibility, and the Law | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
Training the Poll Worker: Empowering the Blind Voter | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
2021-02 Regarding the Suppression of the Rights of Voters with Disabilities | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
2019-05 Regarding the use of Accessible Ballot Marking Devices as the Primary Ballot Marking Tool | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
Login to view the webinar recording. Not a member of the Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice? Join the Section today!
CRSJ provides free webinars and resources for legal professionals and advocates nationwide and relies on generous donor support and volunteer service. Your charitable gift ensures that we continue to address the deepening crises in our collective pursuit of advancing law and justice. Thank you!