A panel of both doctors who provide abortions and attorneys specializing in reproductive health discuss the current landscape for abortion access from both the medical and legal perspectives. These esteemed panelists address abortion rights in America today, including the significance and potential effects of June Medical Services LLC v. Gee, the first case involving abortion to reach the Supreme Court's new majority. The case involves a 2014 Louisiana Law requiring any physician performing an abortion to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles. The doctor panelists also discuss the impact of restrictions like those presented in this case and other cases pending in the lower courts, and the attorney panelists review legal strategy and the implications of Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt.
- Dr. Serina Floyd, Medical Director, Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Colleen McNicholas, Chief Medical Officer, Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri, where there is just one health center left providing abortions in the whole state of Missouri.
- Mai Ratakonda, Staff Attorney, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Joel Dodge, Staff Attorney, Judicial Strategy, Center for Reproductive Rights
- Betsy Harned, Vice President of Public Affairs for Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
June Medical Services, LLC. v. Rebekah Gee, Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, In the Supreme Court of the United States, December 2, 2019
Login to view the webinar recording. Not a member of the Section of Civil Rights and Social Justice? Join the Section today!
CRSJ provides free webinars and resources for legal professionals and advocates nationwide and relies on generous donor support and volunteer service. Your charitable gift ensures that we continue to address the deepening crises in our collective pursuit of advancing law and justice. Thank you!