Illustrious past recipients – all of whom epitomize individual commitment to protecting civil rights in our country – include Congressman John Lewis (2019), Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1999), Bryan Stevenson (2017), and Justice Thurgood Marshall himself.
2020 Thurgood Marshall Award Nomination Instructions
We are now accepting nomination materials for our 2020 Thurgood Marshall Award recipient to be honored on Saturday, August 1, 2020, in Chicago, IL. Nomination materials must be received electronically on or before Friday, October 11, 2019, (note the extended deadline!) and should include the following five items:
NOMINATION FORM. The nomination form must be completed and submitted as the cover sheet of the nomination package.
PHOTO. Please submit a current photo of the nominee.
RESUME. The nomination package must include a resume or curriculum vitae, which describes the following:
- The nominee’s professional background;
- The nominee’s educational background;
- The nominee’s principal areas of practice, including the number of years of practice; and
- The nominee’s professional achievements.
BIOGRAPHY. The nomination package must include a narrative biography describing the nominee’s substantial and long-term contributions to the advancement of civil rights, civil liberties, and human rights in the United States.
LETTERS OF SUPPORT. Please submit no more than five letters of support from individuals or organizations that speak to the following (additional letters will not be considered):
- Describe how the nominee has achieved professional excellence in his or her field;
- Describe how the nominee has distinguished himself or herself in the fields of civil rights, civil liberties, and human rights in the United States;
- Describe the nominee’s public service, civic activities, and bar association activities; and
- Describe how the nominee has inspired, encouraged, or mentored others in pursuing legal careers in civil rights, civil liberties, and human rights.
SUBMIT MATERIALS ELECTRONICALLY ON OR BEFORE FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2019, to CRSJ@americanbar.org.