The late attorney Frank Carrington had a tremendous impact on the crime victim movement in this country. Mr. Carrington founded and served as Executive Director of the Victims Assistance Legal Organization (VALOR) in Virginia, was a Director of the National Organization for Victims Assistance, and was a member of the California Attorney General’s Commission on Victims. Following his service on the Attorney General’s Task Force on Violent Crime (1981), he was appointed to the President’s Task Force on Victims of Crime (1982). From 1980-82, Mr. Carrington was Vice-Chair of the ABA Criminal Justice Section’s Victims Committee.
Awardees will be attorneys or legal service providers (including organizations) who have either directly represented specific victims in criminal, juvenile, or appellate courts or who have worked to promote or implement policies to improve the treatment of crime victims in the criminal justice system and meet the following criteria:
- contributions of the nominee over the course of the nominee’s career to improve the rights of crime victims in the system.
- contribution of outstanding legal scholarship or legal advocacy to improve the rights of crime victims in the system.
- provision of volunteer efforts to victims or efforts beyond the normal employment obligations.
- provision of leadership or major role in the advancement of the rights of crime victims in the system.
- 2008 Frank Carrington, posthumously
- 2009 Richard D. Pompelio
- 2010 Jay C. Howell
- 2011 Susan Herman
- 2012 Mary Haviland
- 2013 Candace Mosley
- 2014 T. Markus Funk
- 2015 Lenore Anderson
- 2016 Stephanie Richard
- 2017 Heather Cartwright
- 2018 Navy Victims’ Legal Counsel Program
- 2019 Network for Victim Recovery of DC’s Legal Team
- 2020 Margaret Garvin
2021 Deadline – May 31, 2021
Nominations should include:
- the CJS Awards Nomination Form.
- a letter addressing the selection criteria listed above.
- the nominee’s resume.
- any other supporting documentation of the nominee’s achievements in the criminal justice field.
Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered. Should no qualified candidate be identified in a particular year the award will not be presented that year.
Nominations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org