In This Issue
- Welcome Message: Law Student Newsletter First Edition
- Expand Your Student Membership
- Build Your Own Brand: Apply for the Diversity Clerkship Program
- Turn your willingness to work into a work experience
- Save the Date! Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 7-9, 2016
|Welcome Message: Law Student Newsletter First Edition|
Welcome to the first edition of the Law Students Newsletter! The Business Law Section of the American Bar Association has a plethora of opportunities to offers students like us to take advantage of. Networking, professional and personal growth, and of course great times, are just the tip of iceberg of what you gain when you are student member of the Business Law Section.
A reasonable person (every law school professor just applauded the use of this common legal standard) would invest in his or her future as a student in law school; the BLS is the perfect medium to make that happen! I have the pleasure of being your Student Liaison for the BLS and can attest first hand just how valuable it is to immerse yourself in the section, and draw out the abundant opportunities just waiting for you!
This newsletter is just for you, the students of the BLS. I had the pleasure of seeing first hand just what kind of work the Business Law Section really does. I was shocked to know that our section is EXTREMELY influential in the business world. Shocking, right? We played parts in influencing the Dodd Frank Act, we've published multiple nationally renowned books and editorials, and of course we have top class members that absolutely love to mentor our student population. The list goes on!
Business Law Section, Law Student Liaison
John Marshall Law School, JD Candidate 2018
|Expand Your Student Membership|
Committee Membership is a great way to stay ahead of the curve. Expand the knowledge you're gaining in the classroom by tapping into the Business Law Section resources. Join a committee for free!
By joining a committee you will:
- Learn more about a specific area of business law
- Gain a network of professionals in your field of interests
- Access free webinars and newsletters that will keep you informed on updates in specific fields
To join and view a full list of committees visit the Business Law Section Committees webpage.
|Build Your Own Brand: Apply for the Diversity Clerkship Program|
The Diversity Clerkship Program encourages students to pursue business court clerkship opportunities and to consider careers in the practice of business law. The mission of the Program is to expose law students to the practice of business law and to provide them with work experience and foundations in business law that will further their careers.
The application for the 2016 Diversity Clerkship Program is now available! Learn more about the Program and the application process at ambar.org/blclerkship.
|Turn Your Willingness to Work Into a Work Experience|
The Business Law Section invites law students to become part of our community and apply for the Committee Associate Program (CAP).
The Committee Associate is a formal position recognized by the ABA Business Law Section. Law students selected for the program will be placed with one of our 50 Committees for at least three months and will be assigned hands-on projects to jump-start their committee participation during that time.
Projects may include:
- Drafting articles and whitepapers
- Coordinating materials and speakers for CLE programs
- Conducting research for special projects
- Assisting with the Committee newsletter
- Helping to coordinate non-CLE webinars
- Updating and improving the Committee webpage and social media
- Developing and executing Committee surveys
Visit our CAP webpage for more details and to apply.
|Save the Date! Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 7-9, 2016|
Attend the Business Law Section Spring Meeting in Montreal, QC, Canada April 7-9, 2016. Law Student registration is free!
The meeting will feature law student programming including:
- Free social events and receptions
- Law Student networking opportunities
- Substantive meetings on a variety of business law topics.