Welcome to the ABA Business Law Section! Your membership in the Section is a great first step toward your career as a business lawyer. Through programs specifically developed for law students and participation in Section member benefits, the Business Law Section can enhance your experience in law school and prepare you for a career in business law. Join today
Build your Professional Network
Business Law Section membership connects you to business lawyers from across the country.
- Law student registration for Section meetings is free! Your registration includes access to all CLE programs, committee and subcommittee meetings and non-ticketed receptions and events.
- The Law Student Program Track is a curated track of programs that will help you navigate the meeting and find avenues for networking and involvement.
- Participate in a Speed Networking Event at each Section Spring Meeting and Section Annual Meeting. This popular event allows law students meet with established business lawyers for short networking sessions to learn about business law career opportunities.
- The Business Law Section is home to over 60 Committees. Free committee membership is included in your Business Law Section membership.
- Substantive committees focus on specific fields in the practice while Administrative Committees focus on furthering the work of the Section. Both types of committees offer plenty of opportunities for involvement.
- Committee members have access to the committee’s newsletters, message boards and content. Law students are encouraged to contact committee chairs to express willingness to become actively involved!
I met a number of impressive attorneys and feel like I learned more in three days at the [Spring Meeting] conference than three months of law school.
Develop your Professional Experience
Gain business law experience and strengthen your CV by applying for participation in Section initiatives and programs designed specifically for law students.
- Mendes Hershman Student Writing Contest: Submit an essay to the Mendes Hershman Student Writing Contest to be recognized in The Business Lawyer.
- Diversity Clerkship Program: Apply for the Business Law Section Diversity Clerkship Program for the opportunity to serve as a paid clerk for a business court judge in cities around the country.
My experience [in the Diversity Clerkship Program] was phenomenal! I don't have enough words to describe how amazing this clerkship was for me personally and how well the work that I was engaged in helped with my future career choices. Great experience!!
Expand your Business Law Knowledge
Impress your professors and friends by furthering your understanding of a variety of business law topics when you utilize Business Law Section content.
- Business Law Today: The digital platform of the ABA Business Law Section including peer-reviewed articles by leading practitioners to deliver trustworthy insight on the issues most critical to business lawyers.
- The Business Lawyer: The premier business law journal in the country containing articles of significant interest to the business lawyer, including case law analysis, and developing trends.
- Book discounts: Receive discounts for the most practical, authoritative publications in the area of business law.
- Webinars: Access an archive of webinars presented by committees on a variety of topics.
I enjoyed my work as a student associate with the Director and Officer Liability committee… The project exceeded my expectations.