Registration fees for the 2021 ABA Bar Leadership Institute:
- ABA Member: $150, changes to $200 after Monday, Jan. 18
- Non-Member: $200, changes to $275 after Monday, Jan. 18
We’re delighted to offer a 40% discount on the registration fee to the leaders of diversity bars. Please use the code 40BLI during checkout to receive the discount.
Wednesday, March 17
- Making the Most of Your BLI Experience
- Welcome from ABA President Patricia Lee Refo
- Finding your Voice as a Bar Leader: A Conversation with Former Senior White House Advisor Valerie B. Jarrett & ABA President-elect Reginald M. Turner, Jr.
- All Hands on Deck: What We Need to Thrive in the Future
- Jack Rives addresses the BLI
- "Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast": A Roadmap for the way forward
- Networking Event
Thursday, March 18
- Welcome from SCOBAS Chair
- Drive: The Keys to Motivating your Team, with Daniel Pink
- Strategy Sessions
- No Time Like the Present: Program Review
- Membership Strategies: Now More than Ever
- Get Your Ducks in a Row: Financial Deep Dive
- Discussion with ABA President Patricia Lee Refo and ABA President-elect Reginald M. Turner, Jr. and on leadership as a team sport.
- “In These Unprecedented Times…": 40 Tips in 40 Minutes
Friday, March 19
- Welcome from SCOBAS Chair
- Leading Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion with Al Tillery
- Facilitated discussions/small groups by bar size & type
- Effective Message Management in Today’s Media Landscape
- Becoming Facilitator in Chief for your Organization with Jeffrey Cufaude
- Skill Building Workshops
- Presidential Communications
- Leading with Strategic Thinking
- Getting Ready to Lead: Closing Remarks with Jeffrey Cufaude
- Closing Remarks from SCOBAS Chair
Mission of the ABA Bar Leadership Institute
The ABA Bar Leadership Institute (BLI) is the American Bar Association’s premier leadership program. Through it, the ABA seeks to advance the legal profession and justice system by supporting the work of state, local, and specialty bars and their leaders.
We do this by:
- Developing the leadership capacity of elected bar leaders and executive staff,
- Exploring leaders’ complex roles and responsibilities, and promulgating exceptional organizational practices,
- Illuminating emerging trends among bar organizations, the legal profession and the justice system, and
- Encouraging inter-bar cooperation.
Presidents-elect, other officers on the leadership ladder, and executive directors/CEOs from:
- State and local bars
- National, state and local diversity bars
- National, state and local women’s bars
- National, state and local specialty bars
Chairs-elect, other officers on the leadership ladder, and staff directors from:
- ABA sections
- ABA Young Lawyers Division
- State and local bar young lawyer affiliates
If you have a question about whether the ABA Bar Leadership Institute is the right program for you, please contact our registrar, Katie Binhack.