The ABA Antitrust Law Section’s Young Lawyer/Economist Representative (“YLR/YER”) application process for the 2021-2022 year is now open. The deadline is March 15, 2021. The applications for the positions are available here: https://americanbar.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eL67GXzs5IjuS2N.
Did you know that the ABA Antitrust Law Section (the Section) is celebrating 10 years of our Young Lawyer Representative Program (YLR Program)? That’s 10 years of connecting over 470 young lawyers and economists with Section leadership through professional and substantive development!
So what exactly is the YLR Program? YLRs are young lawyers and economists⸺practitioners who are under 36 years of age or have been practicing for fewer than 10 years⸺who are paired with one of the Section’s 37 Committees, Special Operations Teams, and Task Forces. While most Committees, Special Operations Teams, and Task Forces have one dedicated YLR, some have two for the year based on need. And there are also roles for dedicated international and CLE program YLRs. The YLRs work as part of the Committee and Task Force leadership in creating content, carrying out programming and engaging in membership outreach.
Some of the exciting activities YLRs have taken on just in the past year include:
- Organizing and moderating panels for teleconferences
- Participating in Spring Meeting panel planning and creating materials for panels at the Spring Meeting
- Organizing, drafting articles for, and publishing quarterly Committee newsletters
- Interviewing prominent Section members and drafting articles discussing the interviews
- Contributing to and drafting comments the ABA has filed in response to requests for comments from regulatory bodies as well as in response to foreign law proposals
- Spearheading approaches to engaging potential new Section members, including J.D. and international LL.M. students in the U.S. at various universities
- Contributing to the Section’s membership and diversity initiatives, including coordinating and participating in the mentor/mentee program
- Spearheading the Young Lawyer Advisory Panel (“YLAP”), which helps recruit law students and lawyers in their first three years of practice to join the Section and become a member of YLAP
The YLR Program offers its participants unparalleled opportunities to engage with Section leadership and to impact the initiatives and direction the Section takes in a given year. And all have countless opportunities to build professional relationships and deepen their engagement with the antitrust bar to enhance their career satisfaction. But don’t just take my word for it. Let’s hear from some who have been there: