- Credit hours required: 24 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 4 hours of ethics. For attorneys with active notary status, 6 hours of the total required hours must be notary credits.
- Length of reporting period: 2 years
- Compliance date: Last day of month preceding birth month
- Compliance group: Varies by birth month. The 24-month compliance period begins on the first day of the attorney’s birth month and ends on the last day of the month preceding the attorney’s birth month.
- Reporting date: Upon completion of the required CLE hours in the applicable compliance period or within 30 days after following the end of the attorney’s compliance period.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes, rounded down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements each reporting period and send certificates of attendance to the Continuing Education Board of the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico. The ABA does not send certificates of attendance to the CLE board.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.