- Credit hours required: 45 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 3 hours of ethics credit per reporting period
- Length of reporting period: 3 years
- Compliance date: June 30
- Reporting date: July 30
- Compliance group: There are 3 compliance groups to which attorneys are assigned that report in alternate years. Group 1 reports in 2021 (July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021); Group 2 reports in 2022 (July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2022); and Group 3 reports in 2023 (July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2023).
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round up or down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Limit on credit hours for recorded programs: Attorneys can earn up to 15 CLE hours via recorded programs.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements by sending certificates of attendance to the North Dakota Commission for CLE.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.