- Credit hours required: 45 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 3 hours of ethics and 2 hours of elimination of bias per reporting period
- Length of reporting period: 3 years
- Compliance date: June 30
- Reporting date: August 31
- Compliance group: There are 3 categories for CLE reporting and new attorneys are assigned to Category 1, 2, or 3 for reporting every 3 years. Category 1 attorneys report in 2018; Category 2, in 2019; and Category 3, in 2017.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round to the nearest quarter hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements each reporting period through an affidavit or online reporting. Neither the ABA nor attorneys send certificates of attendance to the Minnesota State Board of CLE.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.