- Credit hours required: 12 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 1 hour of ethics and 1 hour of avoidance of harassment and discrimination in the legal profession credit
- Length of reporting period: 1 year
- Compliance date: December 31
- Reporting date: December 31
- Compliance group: All attorneys report annually.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round up or down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Limit on credit hours for recorded programs: Attorneys can earn up to 5 CLE hours via recorded programs. The product formats listed below are approved in Maine.
- Attendance Reporting: The ABA reports attendance to Maine on behalf of attendees for live webinars and events. Effective February 1, 2020, Maine participants at ABA on-demand programs should report on-demand participation directly to the Main Board of Overseers of the Bar.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.