- Credit hours required: 15 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 1 hour of legal ethics and 1 hour of either "attorney wellness" or "diversity and inclusion" each year (starting calendar year 2021)
- Length of reporting period: 1 year
- Compliance date: December 31
- Reporting date: March 10
- Compliance group: All attorneys report annually.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credits for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements at the end of each reporting period. Neither the ABA nor attorneys send certificates of attendance for individual programs to the Iowa Commission on CLE.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.