- Credit hours required: 36 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 3 hours of ethics credit per reporting period
- Length of reporting period: 3 years
- Compliance date: December 31
- Reporting date: December 31
- Compliance group: Varies by admission date; attorneys are up for compliance every 3 years.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credits for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round down to the nearest tenth hour.
- Limit on credit hours for distance education programs: Attorneys may earn up to 18 credit hours via distance education per three-year period.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: The ABA reports attendance for for all program completions within 30 days after the program.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.