- Credit hours required: 30 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 6 hours of professional responsibility credit, which must include 4 hours of ethics, 1 hour of diversity and inclusion, and 1 hour of mental illness & substance abuse credit.
- Length of reporting period: 2 years
- Compliance date: June 30
- Reporting date: July 31
- Compliance group: There are 2 compliance groups: attorneys with last names beginning A through M are required to report in even numbered years (2018, 2020, 2022, etc.); attorneys with last names beginning N through Z are required to report in odd numbered years (2017, 2019, 2021, etc.).
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements each reporting period. The ABA does not send certificates of attendance to the Illinois MCLE board.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.