- Credit hours required: 3 hours per reporting period.
- Specialty credits required: 1 hour of ethics credit every 3 years.
- Length of reporting period: 1 year
- Compliance date: December 31
- Reporting date: December 31
- Compliance group: All attorneys report annually.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. In order to receive CLE credit for an approved course, an attorney must be present for 50 minutes out of a 60 minute course. After the first 60 minutes, an attorney may receive credit for the time the attorney is actually present at the course rounded down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Limit on credit hours for recorded programs: No limit. Attorneys can earn all CLE hours via recorded programs.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report CLE compliance on the annual attorney registration statement. Attorneys should not send certificates of attendance to Hawaii after each program.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.