The Business Planning Group
The Business Planning Group has already been very active in 2009.
- The Group holds an hour long, monthly conference call the first Wednesday of each month at 12:00 p.m. (Central Time), where we invite a guest speaker to present on a hot topic related to business succession and estate planning for closely-held businesses. We generally allow about 40-45 minutes for the presentation and 15-20 minutes for participants to discuss any practice related issues. To date, Lloyd Leva Plaine, a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Sutherland, has discussed late allocation of GST exemption with respect to 2008 gifts, and Steve Akers of Bessemer Trust spoke on the recent Jorgensen case and the current state of affairs with family limited partnership planning.
- The Group published an article in the March/April issue of Probate & Property titled, The Family Vacation Home: Keeping It in the Family is Hard to Do—It's More About Cooperation Than Planning.
- The Group presented a number of programs at the 2009 RPTE Spring Symposia in Washington D.C. in May, including: 1) Conversion of Business Entities into Limited Liability Companies, 2) Planning for Liquidity in Estates Holding Closely-Held Business Interests and 3) Use of Defined Value Clauses (and Alternatives) in Transfers of Closely-Held Business Interests.
- The Group is currently planning programs for the RPTE Joint Fall CLE Meeting with the Section of Taxation in Chicago this September.
- Finally, the Group is always on the lookout for new members to help with substantive Group projects, such as creating task forces to make comments to the Treasury on proposed regulations or IRS notices. If you are interested in joining the Group or one of its Committees, click here.