In This Issue…
Highlights: ABA/LPM Midyear Meeting, ABA TECHSHOW Road Show, ABA TECHSHOW 2009, CLE Teleconference
Books: The Lawyer’s Guide to Microsoft Excel 2007, The Legal Career Guide, Fifth Edition, The Lawyer’s Guide to Concordance
The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Excel 2007
by John Tredennick
Make the most of the software you already have.
Did you know Excel can help you analyze and present your cases more effectively, or help you better understand and manage complex business transactions? The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Excel 2007 will show you how.
Designed as a hands-on manual for beginners, as well as longtime spreadsheet users, you'll learn how to build spreadsheets from scratch, use them to analyze issues, and to create graphics presentation.
The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Excel 2007 will help you take advantage of one of the most powerful software tools that you already have on your desktop. It is written by a practicing lawyer for other practicing lawyers and will help you put it to work in your own practice.
|$49.95 ( LPM) |
|Upcoming LPM Meetings|
- LPM Midyear Meeting | February 12-14, 2009 | Marriott Copley Plaza | Boston, MA
- ABA TECHSHOW | April 2-4, 2009 | Hilton Chicago | Chicago, IL
- ABA LPM & Young Lawyer Division Joint Spring Conference | May 13-16, 2009 | Hotel Monteleone | New Orleans, LA
- ABA LPM Annual Meeting | July 29-August 2, 2009 | Westin Michigan Avenue | Chicago, IL
- LPM Fall Meeting | October 14-17, 2009 | Westin St. Maarten | St. Maarten
- ABA LPM Law Firm Marketing Strategies Conference | November 12-13, 2009 | Four Seasons | Philadelphia, PA
|What Others are Reading|
- Resolve to Manage Your Job Search
- Outlining Options for Macs
- Letting Go of Resolutions of New Years Past: Planning and Managing Time
- Starting the New Year with Optimism
- Everything you Need to Know About Digital Cameras
Did you get this forwarded to you by a colleague or friend? Learn about our benefits and Join Today !
ABA/LPM Midyear Meeting
LPM and the Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA) are pleased to sponsor a local version of the wildly successful ABA TECHSHOW. ABA TECHSHOW Road Show will be presented at the MBA Boston offices on Wednesday, February 11.
ABA LPM Section has developed the Road Show program in an effort to share ABA TECHSHOW's popular content with state and local bar organizations. This first ABA TECHSHOW Road Show will offer a taste of the programs that will be offered at the annual ABA TECHSHOW, April 2-4, in Chicago.
To find out more about ABA TECHSHOW Road Show to take place on February 11, click here.
ABA TECHSHOW 2009 • Register Now!
ABA TECHSHOW 2009 , to be held April 2-4 in Chicago, has released its full faculty list and program descriptions.
ABA TECHSHOW Favorites
ABA TECHSHOW, now in its 23rd year, is the world’s premier legal technology CLE conference and expo. The conference offers three days of educational sessions in legal technology and offers lawyers, paralegals, firm administrators, IT managers, and professionals of all knowledge levels the opportunity to gain beneficial information to take home and put to use immediately. More than 100 technology vendors display goods and discuss services during the two-day expo. Come to network with more than 1,500 conference attendees during ABA TECHSHOW at the Hilton Chicago.
Download an electronic copy of the ABA TECHSHOW Detailed Conference Brochure Now!
The complete schedule and listing of session descriptions are available at www.techshow.com . Attendees can experience fresh sessions in new and classic ABA TECHSHOW tracks including:
On the first night of ABA TECHSHOW, full conference attendees are invited to attend ABA TECHSHOW After Dark for entertainment, food and drinks, and exciting door prizes! On Friday, the Taste of ABA TECHSHOW dinners provide attendees the opportunity to meet the ABA TECHSHOW speakers and experience some of the best restaurants Chicago has to offer. To assist attendees throughout ABA TECHSHOW, the Conference Concierge and Tech Help Desk will be available!
If you haven’t registered for ABA TECHSHOW, you have until February 28, to take advantage of special, early-bird discounts. Visit www.techshow.com to view pricing options and to register online, or download the faxable registration form.
Join us in April 2-4 in Chicago for the World Premier Legal Technology Conference and Expo!
The Legal Career Guide, Fifth Edition
by Gary A. Munneke and Ellen Wayne
|$34.95 ( LPM) |
The key question for law students contemplating the future should not be "How do I find a job?" but "How can I find satisfaction in a legal career?"
The Legal Career Guide, Fifth Edition is designed as a hands-on manual to assist you in making these important decisions by helping you identify specific goals and evaluate opportunities as they arise, reflect on changes in your personal situation that affect your aspirations, and assess new trends within the profession that will impact your chosen practice.
The guidelines established here will, ideally, provide you with the skills and self-awareness you need to help you make career decisions throughout life, provide for continued professional development, and equip you for those unpredictable turns of fate the future may hold.
The Lawyer's Guide to Concordance
by Liz M. Weiman
|$49.95 ( LPM) |
Liz Weiman has created an all purpose instruction guide that addresses the diverse needs of different law firms. Attorneys in offices with large IT staffs that manage their databases still need to become familiar with data entry procedures, screen views, searching, tagging, and printing. Lawyers and staff in smaller firms need to know how to load database records and troubleshoot if problems arise. This book provides answers and guidance for these scenarios and more.
With its detailed descriptions of program features, exercises, pointers, reference appendices, and case studies, The Lawyer's Guide to Concordance is the essential companion for attorneys and staff who want to learn the important features of this award-winning database program.
Expand your knowledge from the comfort of your office chair – today’s practical and affordable way to earn CLE credits. LPM offers a 90-minute teleconference and live audio webcast every third Thursday of the month. LPM members receive $65 off regular tuition rates of $150. Visit www.lawpractice.org/cle -- to view the latest schedule and register online.
Online Social Networking Gets Professional: The Pitfalls vs. the Rewards
Thursday, February 19, 2009 ~ 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. ET
There is an enormous amount of buzz today about the myriad uses of online social networking and social media: to provide more efficient and effective client representation and communication; to reach new clients and reporters; and to network and collaborate with colleagues. Most lawyers, however, do not understand how to use these new tools effectively. This teleconference and webcast will review the various tools available online and how to use them effectively.
- The social networking and media tools available online, and their differences
- The potential ethical pitfalls and how to avoid them
- How to identify the best tools to meet your practice, marketing and networking objectives
- How to use the online tools effectively, including how to sift through the “noise”
How to keep your networking social, yet maintain professionalism
- Aviva Cuyler (Moderator), Founder, JD Supra, LLC, Marshall, CA
- David Barrett, Hulien & Barrett, LLC, Boston, MA
- Steve Matthews, Founder and Principal, Stem Legal Web Enterprises, Mission, British Columbia, Canada
- Heather M. Milligan, Director of Marketing, Barger & Wolen LLP, Los Angeles, CA
To view registration options, click here .
LPM wants to make sure that you continue to receive all the benefits of a section member. You can manage your ABA and Section membership more efficiently online. Go to www.abanet.org and log on to myABA* where you can:
- Pay ABA and/or Section dues online via credit card
- View your 2008/09 membership invoice
- Print payment confirmation and receipt
- Change your contact information
LPM Section benefits include:
- Complimentary Law Practice magazine subscription
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Practice Today
- Complimentary e-issues of LawPractice.news
- Discount for ABA TECHSHOW
- Discount on LPM books and publications
- Networking opportunities
- and more!
*Please note that Members and Associates will need to have their ABA ID# and password to access their online invoice.