Law Practice Magazine: Slow Down
Living life in fast-forward? Rediscovering the brake pedal in a world addicted to speed. This issue takes a look at people around the globe who are exploring ways to put on the brakes without giving up their careers or joining a commune. The feature author is a chronicler of the new Slow Movement.
The Jan/Feb issue of Law Practice Magazine is now online!
View current issue»
ABA TECHSHOW®: Take Advantage of the Early Bird Registration
ABA TECHSHOW® is fast approaching and so is the deadline for the Early Bird Registration. Register before March 10, 2006 and receive a $200 discount on registration fees!
Join the ABA Law Practice Management Section as it hosts the 20th ABA TECHSHOW® from April 20-22, 2006 at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers. More than 60 legal technology programs and training sessions will be offered in fourteen topical tracks. Over 100 technology vendors will feature the latest in legal technology products and services.
Other highlights include:
You don't want to miss the 2006 ABA TECHSHOW! REGISTER FOR THE ABA TECHSHOW NOW!
For additional details about ABA TECHSHOW®, speakers, descriptions of the educational tracks and sessions, vendors and more, or to register online, please visit www.techshow.com.
Upcoming Meetings and CLE
- March CLE Teleconference - Using Client Surveys to Improve Your Practice on March 16 from 1pm-2:30pm EST. Tuition is $85 for LPM Members, $125 for ABA Members and $150 for general public.
- Spring Section Meeting – April 22-23, 2006 in Chicago, IL at the Sheraton Hotel & Tower Chicago
- Annual Meeting – August 3-6, 2006 in Honolulu, HI at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
- Fall Meeting – October 12-14, 2006 in Vancouver, BC, Canada at the Westin Bayshore Resort
5 TIPS for Ways to Refocus Your Marketing
by Mary Beth Pratt
What you need to know to get and keep new business. Edited by Ann Lee Gibson
Taken from the Jan/Feb 2006 Issue of Law Practice Magazine.
- Know what you're good at. Have a focus and be disciplined. And don’t forget to keep learning.
- Develop a referral network. Since you have a specific practice focus, you can make referrals to other lawyers and you’ll benefit from their referrals, too.
- Assess your personality type. Read the books and take the personality tests to help you develop better marketing skills. Concentrate on activities that you do best.
- Know your clients, current and prospective. Define your ideal client. Know whom you can’t serve well. Read what your ideal clients read and attend their industry and trade meetings. If you’re in a very small firm, use the resources in your local community and law library.
- Make a to-do list. How will you know what you need to do if you don’t have a list? You can’t know if you’re on the right track if you don’t measure your activities.
Mary Beth Pratt is Chief Marketing Officer of Pepper Hamilton LLP in Philadelphia.View Current Issue »
LPM Teleconference Series: Upcoming CLE
These CLE programs are available via teleconference and live audio web cast. Expand your knowledge from the comfort of your office chair--today's practical and affordable way to earn CLE credits. LPM members receive $65 off regular tuition rates of $150.
Woman and Minority-Owned Law Firms: Overcoming Obstacles in Your Practice and Winning Your Client's Trust
Thursday, February 16, 2006 ~ 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
What elements are critical to the success of a woman and/or minority-owned law firm? How can your firm position itself to maintain a robust database of corporate business usually monopolized by large firms? How can you best position yourself to serve the needs of woman and minority clients? Last Chance to Register--Learn More and Sign up Now »
Using Client Surveys to Improve Your Practice
Thursday, March 16, 2006 ~ 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
An active client survey program that tracks needs and perceptions can be a valuable tool for any size law firm. With a deeper understanding of what your clients want and clearer insight into what they think, your firm can leverage its strengths and address its weaknesses to improve service.
Our panel of attorneys brings perspectives from small, medium and large firms to cover the various types of client surveys and reveal how to set up an effective survey system that will enable you to gather and use data, incorporate market research into your system, and steer clear of ethical pitfalls. Learn more »
Carpe Librum: Books from LPM Publishing
Marketing Success Stories: Conversations with Leading Lawyers, Second Edition
by Hollis Hatfield Weishar and Joyce K. Smiley
This practice-building resource is an insightful collection of anecdotes on successful and creative marketing techniques used by lawyers and marketing professionals in a variety of practice settings. Whether you work in a firm of 1 or 1,000, these stories of marketing strategies that paid off will inspire you to greater heights.
LPM Member price: $64.95/Non-member price: $74.95
Promotional code: PEP6AMBM
Order by April 1, 2006 to receive the discount.
What Others are Reading: Top Articles from Law Practice Magazine and Law Practice Today
Law Practice Magazine:
- Can Your Firm Afford You? The Profit-and-Loss Equation for Associates
- Taking Charge: Accepting Credit Cards for Legal Fees
- Hoist Your Firm’s Bottom Line Using the Associate-Partner Lever
Law Practice Today:
- Are You Coachable?
- Disaster Recovery In Your Shirt Pocket
- How Do Practice Leaders Get Their Jobs Done and Still Have a Practice? The Emerging Role of Practice Management Professionals
Make Sure to Continue Your Section Membership: Renew Your Member Dues Online
LPM wants to make sure that you continue to receive all the benefits of a section member. Be sure to pay your 2005-2006 membership dues invoice as soon as possible, if you have not already done so, to avoid losing LPM section benefits. You can manage your ABA and Section membership more efficiently online. Go to www.abanet.org and log on to myABA* where you can:
- Pay ABA and/or Section dues online via credit card
- View your 2005/06 membership invoice
- Add or drop Section memberships
- Print payment confirmation and receipt
Section Benefits include:
- Discount for ABA TECHSHOW
- Discount on LPM books and publications
- Discount on Law Practice Magazine subscription
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Practice Today
- Complimentary e-issues of LPM News
- Networking opportunities
- Increased knowledge of technological, financial, management and marketing issues pertaining to your firm and law career
*Please note that Members and Associates will need to have their ABA ID# and password to access their online invoice.