|James I. Keane Award at ABA TECHSHOW 2008|
The James I. Keane Memorial Award is named for James I. Keane, the founding Chair of the ABA eLawyering Task Force. The award gives recognition to law offices or legal organizations that have developed legal service innovations delivered over the Internet. Thus, the focus of the award is the innovative delivery of personal legal services, with special attention given to firms and entities that serve both moderate income individuals and the broad middle class.
Nominations must be mailed or faxed by December 31, 2007 and will be reviewed by an impartial jury. Winners will be notified by January 31, 2008, and will be honored at a special ceremony at the ABA TECHSHOW in Chicago in March, 2008. For paper submissions, send four collated copies of each nomination sheet and supporting materials.
LPM Forums Online
A new resource tool has recently been launched offering LPM members a chance to post a question or respond to a question via web discussion board. LPM Forums can be found via a link on the LPM Section homepage at www.lawpractice.org in the left-hand navigation bar. Participants are able to read threads of discussions posted by others concerning an array of topics that fall under one of the four core groups – marketing, management, technology and finance. If you have a question that you need answered or you want to share your knowledge on a particular subject, you may do so by accessing the LPM Forums web discussion board.
ABA Midyear Meeting in Los Angeles
Registration is Now Open!
Join us February 7-9, 2008 in sunny Los Angeles, California for meetings, programs, networking and fun!
The Law Practice Management Section's members are encouraged to register now for the Midyear Meeting at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza , February 6-12, 2008. Registration is free. The advanced online registration deadline is January 4, 2008 . All LPM Meetings will take place at the InterContinental Century City Hotel. Rooms are going quickly so be sure to book your reservations today (select your room when you register).
In addition to standard business meetings, LPM will host the ABA Women Rainmakers program.
Let's Do Lunch – An Entertainment Industry Conversation
Friday, February 8, 2008 at 3:00 p.m. at the InterContinental hotel.
Are you interested in the "dish" on working in the entertainment industry? Listen in, as industry insiders discuss the ins and outs of working in this exciting field.
- How entertainment companies are structured
- Niches that provide the best "fit" for lawyers (both legal and non-legal)
- How to succeed in getting and keeping an entertainment industry job
- What industries are closest in terms of transferable skills and why
- How much money could you make (or not) in this field
Afterwards, mingle with the star-studded cast at our reception !
- Michael Bayer, Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, Image Entertainment
- Vicky Goldberg, Partner – Media & Entertainment, Hodge/Niederer/Cariani/Lindsay
- Dan Goldberg, Associate Director, Compliance, UCLA Athletics
- Amy Weiss, Executive Vice President, Business Affairs and Manager, Brillstein Entertainment Partners
- Martha Fay Africa, Moderator, Partner, Hodge/Niederer/Cariani/Lindsay
We encourage everyone to attend this meeting as there is no registration fee and committee meetings, practice core group meetings (marketing, management, finance and technology), the Section Council Meeting and programs are open to everyone.
For the entire LPM Meeting Schedule or to register online, visit http://www.lawpractice.org/midyear/.
| || |
|ABA TECHSHOW 2008– New Location This Year!|
Join us at the Hilton Chicago – the newest location for ABA TECHSHOW!
Save up to $300 in registration fees for the world's premier legal technology conference and expo when you register today! ABA TECHSHOW ® 2008 will be held March 13-15, 2008. Now in its 22 nd year, ABA TECHSHOW offers registrants more than 60 legal technology educational sessions in sixteen exciting tracks, including new tracks such as Mac Track, Client Relationships, Going Green, Large Firm/Corporate Counsel, and several favorites such as Advanced IT, Litigation, Microsoft Office and E-Discovery. During the two-day expo, over 120 technology vendors will feature the latest in legal technology products and services.
Back by Popular Demand is the Solo/Small Firm Day with two tracks on Friday, March 14. A one-day registration fee is available for Friday (and Thursday) at $325 (early bird rate). Eight sessions of special programming designed for solo and small firm practitioners will cover such topics as drafting bills, digital dictation, technology must-haves, and moving beyond Outlook, are included in these two tracks. Also, included is the James I. Keane Award Presentation and Luncheon, 60 Tips in 60 Minutes, the Expo Hall vendor exhibits, Passport to Prizes and networking opportunities.
One-day passes are available for Thursday and Friday, but cannot be used in lieu of a full-conference pass. Super passes are also available for group discounts.
Visit www.techshow.com to register and to learn more!
Other ABA TECHSHOW highlights include:
- Three Days of CLE
- Two Days of Expo
- Free USB Drive
- NEW! James I. Keane Award Presentation and Luncheon
- NEW! ABA TECHSHOW After Dark – a networking bash with live band!
- Taste of ABA TECHSHOW dine-around event
- Conference Concierge and Tech Help Desk
- Deep Discounts on LPM Books
- Free CD with Presentation Materials
- Passport to Prizes – Visit booths to win valuable prizes!
- Product Demonstration Sessions
| || |
The Lawyer's Guide to Fact Finding on the Internet
Thursday December 20, 2007
Teleconference and Webcast
1:00 PM-2:30 PM
12:00 PM-1:30 PM
11:00 AM-12:30 PM
10:00 AM- 11:30 AM
A lawyer's research involves much more than just legal research. There's more background information and news on individuals and companies available for free or low-cost on the Internet than has ever been available before. Like a detective, lawyers need FACTS and they need to find them fast. Unfortunately, most lawyers aren't taught how to conduct this kind of factual research in law school. The Internet offers an easy way to get FACTS and to get up-to-speed quickly about topics we may otherwise know nothing about. Carole Levitt and Mark Rosch, authors of the ABA's The Lawyer's Guide to Fact Finding on the Internet, will show you how to be your own CyberDetective and unearth factual information free on the Net.
Attendees will learn:
- How to locate background information and other publicly available information about people and companies
- How to find public records-from real property records to criminal records
- How to keep a step ahead of clients or the opposition by setting up free alerts
- Tips and tricks for effective searching
- Carole Levitt, President, Internet for Lawyers, Inc., Culver City, CA
- Mark Rosch, Vice President, Internet for Lawyers, Inc., Culver City, CA
Coming in January...
Seven Technology Must-Haves for Superlative Client Service
Thursday, January 17, 2008 from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. ET
More and more, technology has leveled the playing field for solos and small firm lawyers, but are you harnessing and enjoying the benefits technology can provide? When it comes time to spend your precious technology dollars, what choices will contribute the most to improving the delivery of professional client service? Our experts count down the top seven technology must-haves for the small law firm, and how you can maximize their effectiveness.
- Laura Calloway, Alabama State Bar
- Debbie Foster, InTouch Legal
- Nerino Petro, State Bar of Wisconsin
The Lawyer's Guide to Fact Finding on the Internet, Third Edition
by Carole A. Levitt and Mark E. Rosch
|7x10 w/ CD-ROM|
|$84.95 ( LPM) |
This up-to-date and expanded Third Edition is a complete hands-on guide that shares the secrets, shortcuts, and realities of conducting fact finding on the Internet. Written for legal professionals, this comprehensive desk reference lists, categorizes, and describes hundreds of free and fee-based Internet sites. Useful for investigations, depositions, and trial presentations, as well as company and medical research, gathering competitive intelligence, finding expert witnesses, and fact checking of all kinds.
The book also includes information on browsers, search engines, Weblogs, library databases, public records, and much, much more. In addition, a CD-ROM features all the links contained in the book in one handy PDF file. Find the link you're looking for, and click on the hyperlink to take you there--no typing of URLs required!
This valuable book will help you:
Stop wasting time on the Internet, and make the Internet work for you!
- Select relevant research sources
- Access subjects guides, newsgroups, and listserves
- Find experts on the Web
- Get news on the Web
- Research companies, public records, and backgrounds
- Use the Web for competitive intelligence
- Conduct medical, statistical, international research
- and more!
Learn More »
LPM Membership Benefits
Each associate of your firm or organization that joins ABA and the Law Practice Management Section can save hundreds of dollars each year through member discounts on CLE, publications, travel services, computers, mobile phone service, and more. LPM's monthly "Third Thursday" CLE teleconferences, available from the comfort of your desk, are offered at a $40-$65 discount each month, and LPM members can save up to $300 on the annual ABA TECHSHOW. All books and related titles from LPM Book Publishing are offered at a 10-20% discount to members, and of course your subscription to Law Practice magazine is included as part of your annual membership. In addition, ABA members save through the ABA Member Advantage program, with member discounts from companies like Dell, Xerox, UPS, Sprint, Hertz, Starwood Hotels, and more. For complete details on LPM and ABA member benefits, visit www.lawpractice.org/membership and www.abanet.org/advantage.
- Pay ABA and/or Section dues online via credit card
- View your 2007/08 membership invoice
- Add or drop Section memberships
- Print payment confirmation and receipt
LPM Section benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Complimentary Law Practice magazine subscription
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Practice Today
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Technology Today – our newest webzine!
- Complimentary e-issues of LawPractice.news
- Up to $300 discount for ABA TECHSHOW 2008
- Save $65 on LPM CLE Teleconference series
- 15%-20% discount on LPM books and publications
- Networking opportunities
*Please note that Members and Associates will need to have their ABA ID# and password to access their online invoice.