LPM Section News
|LPM Fall Meeting in Puerto Rico – Registration Now Open!|
Join the LPM Section in sunny Puerto Rico by registering now for the LPM Fall Meeting to be held from October 18-20, 2007 at the Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa - A Wyndham Grand Resort in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.
This year the LPM Section will meet in conjunction with the ABA Women Rainmakers Mid-Career Workshop. During the LPM Fall Meeting, LPM members are encouraged to attend any of the core group meetings to discuss issues concerning marketing, management, technology and finance; and the Section Council Meeting and other Section Committee meetings; the Section Gathering Receptions (Thursday and Friday), and the Dessert Reception which will welcome attendees for the Rainmakers Workshop. Bus transportation will be provided on Saturday to San Juan allowing meeting participants to venture into the city. Attendees will be sure to find this unique educational and networking opportunity valuable, informative, and fun! Be sure to book your room early due to the increased tourist demand during October.
For schedule, event and hotel information, visit http://www.lawpractice.org/fallmeeting/ .
|LPM Member Marc Tamminga Wins Race Across Gobi Desert!|
He does it again! For the second year in a row, LPM Member Mark Tamminga of Canada won the global championship of the Gobi March 2007 with a cumulative time of 29:06:55, making him the first person in the history of the event to win two races. Last year, Mark won the championship by completing the Atacama Crossing™ in the Atacama Desert in Chile. Approximately 157 international competitors participated in the seven-day race across the dessert through some of the most inhospitable terrain anywhere in the world. Competitors walked or ran with all their equipment, food, bedding and clothes for the week on their backs. RacingThePlanet Limited is an international outdoor lifestyle brand and global leader in organizing some of the world's most prestigious outdoor events including the 4 Deserts, a series of 7-day footraces across the world's largest and most forbidding deserts. These events include the Gobi March in China, the Atacama Crossing in Chile , the Sahara Race in Egypt and The Last Desert in Antarctica. These locations represent the driest, hottest, coldest and windiest places on Earth.
LPM Section congratulates Mark Tamminga on an extraordinary job well done!
LPM Meetings and Events
ABA Women Rainmakers Mid-Career Workshop
October 20-22, 2007 | Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
An interactive forum developed to give valuable insight and enhance the performance of the mid-career women lawyer. In conjunction with the LPM Section Fall Meeting to be held October 18-20, 2007 in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, the ABA Women Rainmakers Mid-Career Workshop will take place on October 20-22, 2007. This workshop will allow participants to network with other successful attorneys, engage in focused topical discussions with knowledgeable legal professionals and learn how to utilize tools to help assess the participant's career, client relationships, and personal lifestyle requirements in order to maximize rainmaking capabilities.
- Rainmaking / business development
- Client relationship management
- Strategic planning / goal setting
- Personal branding
- Becoming a master communicator (public speaking skills)
- Negotiation skills and strategy
The registration fees for LPM members are $445 on or before August 1 and $495 after August 1; and for all others registration fees are $495 on or before August 1 and $595 after August 1.
Book your rooms early! The hotel will sell out and we only have a certain number of rooms in the block. This is the hotel's peak season. -- Book Your Room Today!
A room block is reserved for attendees at a rate of $169/night at the Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa - A Wyndham Grand Resort. Space is limited, so book your room early. For reservations book your room online or call the hotel toll-free at 1-800-937-8461 and reference the American Bar Association for the special group rate.
Learn More »
LPM Law Firm Marketing Strategies Conference:
Thirty Years of Law Firm Marketing (1977-2007)
November 8-9, 2007 | Washington, D.C.
A comprehensive two-day program for attorneys, law firm executives and marketing directors taking place November 8-9, 2007 in Washington, DC at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. The profession's leading resource on law firm marketing—the ABA's Law Practice Management Section—has developed its first full two-day comprehensive program to address the topic and teach practitioners the best ways to move forward with their law firm's marketing plans.
Prepare yourself for the most interesting speed-learning experience of your marketing life. Day One will feature 10 different law firm case studies dealing with 10 different marketing initiatives. Day Two will feature a technology version. Twenty partners from 20 law firms throughout the country will present.Conference Highlights:
- Return to Bates v. Arizona – the Ongoing Ethics Debate, featuring Van O'Steen from Bates and a distinguished panel of national marketing ethics experts
- The Diversity Dilemma – a very special program on legal profession diversity initiatives and its impact on the bottom line and structure of law firms and corporate legal departments
- From 'No Comment' to 'No Problem' – Developing a Media Strategy For Handling a Crisis and Growing Your Business
- Wasted Time, Wasted Spending – Law Firms continue to be ineffective in their business development spending. How should I budget, hire and spend?
- Technology Marketing – From web sites to contact management and every "virtual place" in-between
- TWO 10x10 Extreme Marketing Programs – 10 speakers. 10 topics. 10 minutes each.
Registration is now open! Registration is now open! Early Bird Registration fees for everyone are $525 by August 17, 2007. After August 17, regular registration fees apply with general registration at $795, ABA members and affiliated professional organization partners at $595, LPM, YLD and law students at $545. Hotel rooms are available at $239/night at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. Contact the hotel directly at (202) 234-0700 or visit the Omni Shoreham Hotel web site . Reference the American Bar Association to receive the special rate.
Learn More »
"Third Thursday" CLE Teleconference Series
What Women (In-House Counsel) Want
Thursday, August 16, 2007
1:00 PM-2:30 PM
12:00 PM-1:30 PM
11:00 AM-12:30 PM
10:00 AM- 11:30 AM
ABA Women Rainmakers presents a panel of distinguished in-house counsel from top national corporations who will examine the factors they consider critical to a successful relationship with outside counsel. Join this live teleconference and audio webcast to hear our presenters discuss:
- Technology issues in the age of e-discovery
- How outside law firms can improve their effectiveness and communications with in-house counsel
- Criteria that in-house counsel consider when selecting outside counsel
- Challenges associated with billing, staffing, time keeping and record keeping
- The relevance of diversity initiatives in the corporate legal environment
- Managing expectations, with particular focus on how to handle disagreements on strategy
- Martha Fay Africa (moderator), Partner, Hodge/Niederer/Cariani, San Francisco, CA
- Deborah K. Hayes, Associate General Counsel, Volvo Financial Services North America, Greensboro, NC
- Marie Oh Huber, Vice President, Deputy General Counsel and Assistant Secretary, Agilent Technologies, Inc., Santa Clara, CA
Learn More »
Expand your knowledge from the comfort of your office chair – today's practical and affordable way to earn CLE credits. LPM members receive $65 off regular tuition rates of $150. Visit www.lawpractice.org/cle -- to view the latest schedule and register online.
Upcoming CLE teleconferences:
- Blogging: Ethical Considerations for the Lawyer; Legal Implications for the Client - Thursday, September 20, 2007 from 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. ET
- How to Buy Malpractice Insurance - Thursday, October 18, 2007 from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. ET
How to Start and Build a Law Practice, Fifth Edition
by Jay G. Foonberg
Regular Price: $69.95
LPM Member Price: $57.95
LSD Member Price: $27.95
704 pages, Paper
If you have a question about starting and growing your own law practice, or improving your existing solo or small firm practice, Jay Foonberg has the answers in this power-packed, updated, and expanded new edition. Learn it all from a practicing lawyer who provides you with real answers, for real practices, gained from real experiences.
This classic ABA bestseller has been used by tens of thousands of lawyers as the comprehensive guide to planning, launching, and growing a successful practice. It's packed with over 600 pages of guidance on identifying the right location, finding clients, setting fees, managing your office, maintaining an ethical and responsible practice, maximizing available resources, upholding your standards, and much more. If you're committed to starting your own practice, this book will give you the expert advice you need to make it succeed.
Learn More »
Make the Most of Your LPM Membership
|Make Sure to Continue Your Section Membership - Renew Your Member Dues Online|
LPM wants to make sure that you continue to receive all the benefits of a section member. You can manage your ABA and Section membership more efficiently online. Go to www.abanet.org and log on to myABA* where you can:
- Pay ABA and/or Section dues online via credit card
- View your 2007/08 membership invoice
- Add or drop Section memberships
- Print payment confirmation and receipt
LPM Section benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Complimentary Law Practice magazine subscription
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Practice Today
- Complimentary e-issues of Law Technology Today – our newest webzine!
- Complimentary e-issues of LawPractice.news
- Up to $300 discount for ABA TECHSHOW 2008
- Save $65 on LPM CLE Teleconference series
- 15%-20% discount on LPM books and publications
- Networking opportunities
*Please note that Members and Associates will need to have their ABA ID# and password to access their online invoice.