Practical Simplicity means Success
Most of us fail to stop and take stock of what we are doing in this gig as lawyers. I know that I am perhaps the biggest culprit as I am often accused of failing to plan well in advance. More »
- GP|Solo Budget Committee »
- Applying the art and science of finance can sometimes be a difficult and time consuming responsibility. A budget is a financial plan showing income and expenditure for the year ahead. No budget is ever 100% accurate. Some things are likely to change in the course of the year ahead, some costs may increase and similarly some may decrease. A budget should be closely watched and the more time goes into preparing and reviewing it the more accurate it is likely to be. More »
- All GP|Solo committees are staffed by volunteer members just like you! To get involved, visit abanet.org/genpractice/committee now.
- 2008 Annual Meeting CLE »
- On Saturday, August 9, 2008 at the ABA’s 2008 Annual Meeting in New York, New York, GP|Solo is sponsoring the CLE program Judicial Clerkships: Navigating the Federal Clerkship Hiring Guidelines and Developing Skills to Succeed on the Job from 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. at Westin Times Square.
A clerkship is the most prestigious job available after graduation and is considered to be the capstone of a legal education. What do law students need to know about application timing, the use of OSCAR, and how to enhance their application? Additionally, for those students who have obtained clerkships, what skills should they continue to develop or acquire prior to commencing their service at the court? Directly following, join GP|Solo for their panel discussion, “How to get a Job in a Small Firm” and hear a panel of members discuss their experiences as a solo and small firm lawyer and the qualifications that they look for in an applicant. More »
- Federal Tax Procedure for Attorneys »
Experienced tax lawyers, those new to tax law, and academics alike will benefit from this accessible book, which provides a nuts-and-bolts approach to solving specific problems that arise in everyday tax practice, including: administrative appeals; statutes of limitations in tax cases; collections defenses and remedies; and more. More
- SoloSez™ “Lunch Bunch” »
On the last Friday of every month, Terry Berger holds court over a random group of Washington, D.C., solo practitioners who regularly meet for lunch. Featured in the “Solos and Small Firms” column of the ABA Journal July 2008 Issue, the MD/DC/VA Monthly “ Lunch Bunch” is celebrating its ninth year. Although the group has grown exponentially from when it first started, its purpose has not. It’s simply a chance to gab, socialize and network with other solos about anything and everything. Read about their April 2008 meeting More »
Growth of SoloSez™ Community
It is with great pleasure that I announce that our Solosez™ family has grown to over 3,400 subscriptions. My personal thanks to each of you who have contributed to our community with your valuable posts and by bringing your friends into our family.
Bruce L. Dorner, Chair
ABA GP|Solo Division
- SoloSez™ Popular Threads »
Solosez is an email discussion list for solo and small firm lawyers that has grown to be the ABA's busiest list.
For a taste of what Solosez has to offer, check out the popular threads on Solosez’s Website. Recent threads include:
- More »
- This Month’s Tip
- Recycle your old computer
Seventy-five percent of all old computers wind up in land fills. Send your old home PC to a better place, like a charity or trade-in center. Donations are tax deductible and benefit schools and non-profits. Some retailers will give you credit toward a new computer and other tech equipment with trade-in programs.
Send Your useful tips Now »