Note: This is not for CLE. Part of the free Career Development Series, a monthly webinar series featuring practical tips from legal career experts. Live webinars are free and open to the public. The recorded program and materials are exclusively for ABA members.
During this fireside chat, Lauren Stiller Rikleen will discuss the research and strategies described in her new book, The Shield of Silence: How Power Perpetuates a Culture of Harassment and Bullying in the Workplace and will explore how silence fuels workplace misconduct, and shields those who perpetuate the bad behavior. Drawing on the research, interviews, and strategic recommendations for addressing workplace misconduct in her book, Lauren will discuss the link between the creation of a respectful, inclusive, and diverse workplace culture and the elimination of negative workplace behaviors. Lauren will address such topics as:
- The importance of stopping the condition that drives victims and bystanders into silence – the overriding fear that reporting will result in retaliation;
- The cultural and societal norms that allow misconduct and negative behaviors in the workplace to flourish;
- The structures, power dynamics, and behaviors that need to change to protect victims rather than those accused of misconduct;
- The policies that are necessary to address incidents of sexual harassment and other negative behaviors;
- Addresses ways to implement a transparent process for reporting and investigating complaints;
- The importance of bystander intervention training; and
- The link between stopping harassment and misconduct and the creation of a respectful, inclusive, and diverse workplace culture.
This program is for managing partners, law firm leaders and partners, employment lawyers, and any lawyer who’s ever felt silenced or witnessed negative behaviors in the workplace.