The Human Rights Support Mechanism (HRSM) was a multi-year, USAID-funded leader with association cooperative agreement implemented by the PROGRESS consortium led by Freedom House in partnership with the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI), Pact, Search for Common Ground, and Internews from 2017 to 2023.
The PROGRESS consortium aimed to
- Improve the enabling environment for preventing and addressing human rights violations and abuses;
- Implement effective response actions to mitigate the impact of human rights violations and abuses;
- Implement effective remedies to human rights violations and abuses;
- Identify effective approaches for protecting human rights; and
- Implement rapid response activities in urgent or unforeseen crises.
Through the HRSM mechanism, ABA ROLI implemented 20 programs centered at improving human rights conditions, supporting access to justice, strengthening civil society organizations, and responding to urgent needs that arose during the COVID-19 pandemic.
PROGRESS consortium implemented a robust learning agenda, with research and analytical products produced by all partners through Associate Awards, as well as through the Leader Award.