The American Bar Association Mission:
To serve equally our members, our profession and the public by defending liberty and delivering justice as the national representative of the legal profession
The ABA achieves its mission through tireless work toward four Goals.
Goal I: Serve Our Members.
- Provide benefits, programs and services which promote members’ professional growth and quality of life.
Goal II: Improve Our Profession.
- Promote the highest quality legal education.
- Promote competence, ethical conduct and professionalism.
- Promote pro bono and public service by the legal profession.
Goal III: Eliminate Bias and Enhance Diversity.
- Promote full and equal participation in the association, our profession, and the justice system by all persons.
- Eliminate bias in the legal profession and the justice system.
Goal IV: Advance the Rule of Law.
- Increase public understanding of and respect for the rule of law, the legal process, and the role of the legal profession at home and throughout the world.
- Hold governments accountable under law.
- Work for just laws, including human rights, and a fair legal process.
- Assure meaningful access to justice for all persons.
- Preserve the independence of the legal profession and the judiciary.