During the past few years the Forum has commenced efforts to forge closer relations with organizations involved in the construction industry. The Forum has been involved with the ACE Mentor Program and the National Construction Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Arbitration Association for some time. More recently the Forum has entered into Expressions of Mutual Interest (EMIs) with the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the Construction Owners Association of America (COAA), the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE). In addition, the Forum has made overtures to other organizations within the American Bar Association such as the Public Contract Law Section.
Under the EMIs the Forum and the other industry organizations agree to share information and ideas to benefit their respective memberships. Among the purposes sought to be served by the EMIS are to:
- Promote mutual cooperation and understanding between the organizations and their members;
- Promote public understanding and awareness of the contributions of the members of the organizations to the construction industry;
- Promote diversity within the personnel associated with the construction industry;
- Promote education and training of the members of the organizations; and
- Promote the commitment to the fair and reasonable allocation of risk and responsibility in design and construction contracts.
To further the purposes of the EMIs the Forum and the industry organizations each appoint a Liaison to the other. The Forum’s Liaisons are members of the Industry Outreach Subcommittee of the Marketing Committee. We welcome ideas and interest from Forum members about how best to develop the Forum’s efforts to connect and collaborate with construction industry organizations and their members.