Each month, TYL publishes In Focus, a topical collection of articles to help new lawyers navigate and better understand a wide variety of substantive and career-development aspects of the practice of law. TYL In Focus is a benefit of membership in the American Bar Association and is available only online in two formats for download: EPUB and PDF.
A standard file type created for mobile devices, EPUB requires the use of a reader app (e.g., iBooks, for Apple products) though can be viewed in some web browsers add-ons (e.g., Readium, for Google Chrome).
How to save and open an EPUB:
- You must have an e-reader app (e.g., iBooks, for Apple products) on your mobile device or a browser add-on (e.g., Readium, for Google Chrome) installed and set up on your PC or Mac.
- You must be connected to the Internet.
- Select the EPUB file/link from the In Focus home page. (Note: You must be a current member of the ABA Young Lawyers Division and must be logged onto the ABA website.)
- The mobile device will automatically select the corresponding program for opening, storing, and viewing the file. If you have multiple e-readers on your device, you will be prompted to choose an e-reader app with which you can open, store, and read the file. Select the e-reader of choice. If you are on a desktop computer, you may have to open your browser prior to opening the EPUB file.
- The file will be added to the e-reader's library and, with some apps, open automatically. Like most files, the EPUB can be saved to a Mac or PC desktop folder.
- If the file does not display immediately on your mobile device, you can select it from the e-reader's library. If you have difficulty accessing your e-reader library, please consult with the application help menu or the developer.
Please note that to download any of these files, you must be a current member of the American Bar Association and must be logged onto the ABA website. Information on how to join the Young Lawyers Division and the ABA is available on the YLD membership page.