Award Categories and Criteria
Below are brief descriptions of the criteria used to select recipients in each category.
Law Office Accomplishment—This award is presented in recognition of sustained outstanding performance or a specific extraordinary accomplishment by a state and local government law office. Eligible candidates include all state and local government and public sector law offices, including departments or units within such offices.
Lifetime Achievement—This award is presented in recognition of outstanding contributions to the practice of state and local government law by an individual over an entire career or for contributions over a number of years of service.
Advocacy—In recognition of outstanding legal advocacy within the area of state and local government law, this award celebrates excellence in advocacy, both written and otherwise.
Up & Comers—Presented to a young practitioner (36 or under) as defined by the ABA who, through his or her efforts and accomplishments, shows great promise to continue these contributions for future achievements.
Guidelines for Submission
Nominations for recipients in each of the four categories must be submitted in the following format with all the information requested:
- Nominee: Please submit as the cover sheet for the nomination package the full name, address, and telephone numbers of the nominee.
- Employer: The nomination package must include the name of the law office’s director or manager for the Government Law Office Award, including the size and mission of the office.
- Accomplishments: Provide a detailed summary of the nominee’s or office’s achievements and a brief explanation of outstanding or extraordinary public and/or professional services rendered (50 to 100 words).
- Service: Please include an explanation of the nominee’s performance and service, information regarding the time frame for the services described, accomplishments or superior contributions over a number of years, outstanding advocacy, or legal writing; qualifications as a young lawyer for the Up & Comers Award, whose past efforts and accomplishments show great promise to continue contributions for future achievement; and an assessment of the impact of the service for which you are nominating the individual or office (no more than two typed pages).
- References: The nomination package must also include names, titles, and phone numbers of three other persons (including at least one lawyer or jurist) who are familiar with the nominee’s performance, achievements, and so on.
- Nominator: To assist the Awards Committee’s evaluation, please also include a brief statement about the nominator’s background.
Nominations must be received on or before March 14, 2014, by the Section of State and Local Government Law. The Section’s Awards Committee will select recipients by April 4, 2014, and the Awards will be presented at the ABA Annual Meeting at special luncheon in Boston, Massachusetts, on August 8, 2014.
Submit All Nomination Materials to:
Tamara Edmonds Askew, Director, Section of State and Local Government Law, American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654-7598, Tamara.Edmondsaskew@americanbar.org, fax 312/988-5121.