Skills Training for Estate Planners CLE Program
July 15–19, 2013
New York Law School, New York, New York
This is the ideal estate planning program both for young or transitioning lawyers new to the practice and for lawyers who seek more advanced knowledge in estate planning! Space is limited for this popular annual program—early registration is advised.
Topics to Be Covered
Basic Fundamentals and Substantive Skills Development
- Considerations in drafting various estate planning documents.
- Basics of lifetime transfers.
- Elder law considerations.
- Marital deduction and charitable deduction planning.
- Use of life insurance.
- Practical tips on planning for a possible will contest.
- Fundamentals of asset protection planning.
- Planning for same-sex couples, both married and unmarried.
Technical Skills Development.
- Tax compliance, including how software can produce errors.
- Fiduciary administration issues, including tax aspects of postmortem planning and administration.
- Valuation in practice, including how to select valuation experts and analyze their work.
- Software programs and web sites that assist in analysis of estate plans.
Developing Ethical Attitudes
- Ethics instruction in practical settings, especially representation of married and unmarried couples and fiduciaries.
New This Year
This year we have added a second track on more advanced subject matter, including:
- Family business planning with discussions of Chapter 14 implications, valuation theory and practice, QSSTs vs. ESBTs, and use and drafting of buy-sell agreements.
- Use and drafting of split interest trusts.
- Generation-skipping transfer tax planning.
- • The impact of IRC § 2036 on drafting and planning.
- • Estate freezes, GRATs, and sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- • Life insurance trust planning.
- • Retirement planning and deferred compensation.
- • Planning for residences/vacation homes.
- • Planning for the multinational client.
- • Income tax considerations for taxable estates.
- • Ethical considerations.
Optional Sunday Pre-Program on July 14, 2013
Review the basics of estate tax, gift tax, GST tax, and income taxation of trusts and estates. A must for attendees who need or want a refresher in these vital areas.
Space is limited for this program. To register, please contact Michael Kesler at (312) 988-5260 or Michael.Kesler@americanbar.org.