5 THINGS | Wise Words on Achieving Goals
- Envision the endgame. In the words of lawyer, actor and author Ben Stein, “The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.”
- Describe your desired outcomes in writing. Behavioral experts say that your chances of accomplishing something increase by 70 percent if you write it down.
- Outline purposeful, realistic action steps. As Henry Ford put it, “Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.”
- Go for it. Take one step at a time and progress will come. “We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once,” to quote Calvin Coolidge.
- Monitor your progress. At least quarterly, review whether your action steps are building results leading to your desired outcomes. Change course if necessary. As Stephen R. Covey says, “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.”
Connie Cook Laug ( email@example.com) is Chief Quality Officer at Graydon Head & Ritchey in Cincinnati, OH.
Ann Lee Gibson, PhD ( firstname.lastname@example.org), is principal of Ann Lee Gibson Consulting. She consults with law firms on business development initiatives.