5 THINGS | Make Corporate Counsels’ Dreams Come True
- As outside counsel, thoroughly commit to understanding the client company’s business, industry and goals.
- Make your motto “No Surprises.” Tell corporate counsel before the fact about necessary staffing changes, budget variances and new strategies.
- Align your pricing with the value of the legal work that you are asked to handle.
- Implement a compensation system that rewards lawyers for providing superlative service to the client company—not for logging the most hours they can or managing the relationship to their greatest benefit.
- Carefully consider the sources of the company’s legal problems and recommend creative solutions that will make corporate counsel look good inside the company and the industry.
Ann Lee Gibson, PhD ( email@example.com), is principal of Ann Lee Gibson Consulting in West Plains, MO.