The Agricultural Law Committee
The GPSolo Agriculture Law Committee is designed for lawyers who practice in the small firm or solo practitioner setting. Agriculture law touches upon nearly every area of law. It is just geared toward a specific industry. This committee helps facilitate conversation and educational events on the following areas:
- farm/ranch estate planning;
- agribusiness succession planning;
- farm/ranch divorces;
- agriculture taxation;
- environmental regulation on agriculture;
- food and agriculture policy;
- business law and commercial litigation as it applies to agriculture;
- grant writing for farms and agribusinesses;
- food/ag insurance (e.g., crop insurance, livestock insurance, product liability insurance, environmental insurance);
- equine law;
- food/ag intellectual property;
- food safety and labeling;
- property and land use law;
- international food and agriculture law;
- animal law (e.g., livestock space/confinement);
- criminal law (e.g., livestock animal welfare, livestock trespass, livestock space);
- fiber and leather production;
- urban/ suburban agriculture;
- tort law (e.g., Right-to-Farm law); and,
- alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
The Committee has put on several webinars on myriad topics including: crop/livestock insurance, renewable energy law, local food law, food labeling, ag employment/labor law, and 1031 exchanges. The committee is currently working on webinars for the Farm Bill and equine law.
Alexander P. Fersa
2014–2015 Chair, Law Student Committee and Liaison, Law Student Division
Hometown: Wayne, New Jersey
Law School: Barry University School of Law, Orlando, Florida
Undergraduate Institution: Rutgers University, New Jersey
Law Practice Areas Interested In: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
Law School Involvement: Student Bar Association Senator 2013-2014, RPPTL Secretary 2014-2015, and ABA Vice Representative 2014-2015
ABA Involvement: ABA Vice Representative and Law Student Division Liaison to the Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
Dream Legal Job: Starting and owning a small- to medium-sized law firm
When I was younger, I wanted . . . to be a professional freestyle skier
Contact Information: Alexander P. Fersa, email@example.com, 97- 800-0674.
Tips for Members
The strength of GPSolo comes directly from our members: You.
Your work is important. Our partnership is essential. We value your membership. Renewing your ABA GPSolo membership by August 31st gives you the opportunity to connect with your professional community while accessing the latest tools, practices, and resources to run your law practice more efficiently and cost effectively than ever. We hope that you will continue to invest in yourself and your profession.
Go to myABA at www.ambar.org/renew.
Thank you for your membership!