Please visit the Events & CLE page on the Division's website for CLE teleconferences that GPSolo produces and cosponsors by clicking here.
Upcoming GPSolo CLE
Date: July 29, 2014
Time: 1:00 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Eastern
Credits: 1.50 General CLE Credit Hours
Panelist(s): Eric J Friday and John A Pierce
Join our expert panelists as they:
- Review the law of all the states regarding open carry of guns
- Decipher the differences between handguns and long guns as they pertain to open carry
- Explain recent and pending cases
Over the last several decades, much of the focus of the gun rights debate has been on the concealed carry movement. However, since 2004, there has been a resurgence of interest in the 'open carry' of legally owned firearms.
Because open carry and concealed carry are often regulated very differently under state law, there has also been a surge of misinformation and confusion. Clients will often receive conflicting and incorrect advice from firearm dealers, firearm safety instructors, and even law enforcement.
This CLE program will feature a comprehensive 50-state review of the availability of “open carry” and the legal requirements to do so. It will also feature a discussion of recent and pending case law.
- What is open carry? (A constitutional and historical perspective)
- Which states allow open carry? Is a permit required?
- Is there a difference between handgun and long gun open carry?
- The role of preemption in the regulation of open carry. (Dillon’s Rule vs. home rule)
- The intersection of open carry and the Gun Free School Zones Act
- Recent and pending cases
To register for the teleconference, please click here.
Visit our Events and CLE page for upcoming programs.
ABA CLE Premier Speaker Series
ABA Members can now earn free continuing legal education credits through ABA programs featuring today’s most influential legal practitioners. The ABA introduces a free monthly CLE Premier Speaker Series. Earn up to 18 hours of CLE credit as part of your ABA membership. The CLE Premier Speaker Series is just one of the ways that we’re increasing the value of membership and advancing the legal profession. For more information, visit www.ambar.org/premierCLE.