2014 ABA Midyear Meeting
February 6–9, 2014
Join the Division at the 2014 ABA Midyear Meeting scheduled in Chicago, Illinois, at the Swissotel Chicago. The Division will hold activities from February 6 to 9 including the Law Student Panel; GPSolo magazine board meeting; Book Publications board meeting; Military Lawyers Committee meeting; Keithe E. Nelson Memorial Military Law Luncheon; CLE; Finance Committee meeting; Executive Committee meeting; and ABA Leadership Coalition for Solo and Small Firm Lawyers.
Additionally, you will want to attend the Solo and Small Firm Lawyers Caucus on Sunday, February 9, to examine issues being addressed by the ABA that are of interest to and impact solo and small firm lawyers; to discuss issues of concern to solo and small firm lawyers; and to meet other ABA members and network with colleagues.
There is no registration fee to attend the Midyear Meeting; however, a registration fee may be required to attend certain events. Additionally, you must register through the ABA in order to secure a hotel room at the ABA rate.
You can save $100 if you register by March 28!
Presented by ABA Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division (GPSolo); ABA Standing Committee on Group and Prepaid Legal Services; and Group Legal Services Association (GLSA)
May 2–4, 2014
ARIA Resort and Casino
Las Vegas, NV
For the first time this year, GPSolo will be holding a joint meeting with GLSA. It will feature lots of exciting CLE and fun networking opportunities. You can go to GPSolo’s Facebook event page to let us know you are attending.
ABA GPSolo has reserved a number of rooms at a reduced rate at the ARIA Resort & Casino for ABA meeting attendees, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis until Friday, March 28, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. (CST). Please contact the hotel directly at 702-590-7111 and identify yourself as an ABA GPSolo Spring Meeting attendee. You can also make a reservation online at the Attendee Passkey Link. It is recommended that you confirm your reservation early in order to guarantee your preferred dates. Please check with the hotel to confirm the cancellation policy for individual guestroom reservations.
Why You Should Attend
This premier event brings attorneys at all levels of practice together for one-on-one idea exchange with some of the most successful professionals in our industry. It is a one-stop source for information on emerging trends and competitive intelligence. Join us in attending plenary, breakout, and roundtable programs, as well as fun activities and valuable networking sessions. This year, we have brought together group and legal prepaid legal services providers with solo and small firm attorneys to learn how to increase revenue for your firms. Join us in Las Vegas to learn exciting new ideas to help you better serve your clients and increase your practice base.
What You Will Learn
CLE programs will cover a wide spectrum of legal topics that address issues of group and prepaid legal services, as well as topics of interest to general practitioners. Here is a sneak peek at some of the sessions:
- Technology Tips including online marketing and website optimization to grow your practice and generate leads you didn’t know you had.
- Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has had significant changes due to the Supreme Court ruling in June 2013, and you will need to know DOMA’s impact on same-sex couples, changes to benefits, and other issues arising in federal courts as a result of the law.
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation is always evolving, and you need to know all aspects of continuing compliance with the federal tax code and ERISA, as well as other applicable federal and state laws affecting compensation and employee benefit arrangements including the Pension Protection Act, the Affordable Care Act, and so forth.
- Consider adding Immigration Law to your practice. This may be the year Congress decides what to do about the millions of immigrants living illegally in the United States. You will learn how to serve these clients.
- In Family Law Potpourri, there will be discussion of dissipation of assets prior to separation, grandparents and grandchildren, and client triage.
- How Group Legal Services Plans can help lawyers generate additional revenue during low income cycles.
- How lawyers decide what legal plans to join when you have several options to choose from—the valuable benefits of each plan will help you decide which or all that you want to join.
- Meet Plan Administrators for one-on-one Q&A.
- Power Networking Opportunities almost 24 hours every day—it is Vegas, after all!
Who Should Attend
There really is a program for every attorney!
- All attorneys who are a member or are interested in group legal services plans.
- Attorneys who practice or want to learn more in bankruptcy law; business advice and financial planning; employee benefits and executive compensation; family law, gaming law; immigration law; and real estate and trust law.
- Attorneys whose clients are military personnel.
- Attorneys who are interested in learning more about technology.
MCLE Credit Symbol: 11.0 hours of MCLE credit, including 3.0 hours of ethics credit, have been requested in 60-minute states; and 13.0 hours of MCLE credit, including 3.6 hours of ethics credit, have been requested in 50-minute states.
For more information, go to www.ambar.org/GPSoloSpringMeeting.
2014 ABA Annual Meeting
August 7–10, 2014
Sheraton Boston Hotel
2014 GPSolo Fall Meeting and 9th Annual National Solo & Small Firm Conference
October 23–25, 2014
Hilton Palacio del Rio Hotel
San Antonio, TX