Message from Chair-Elect Amy Lin Meyerson
As Chair-Elect of the ABA Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division (GPSolo), I have begun to make committee leadership appointments for the upcoming bar year that begins in August 2014. For a complete list of committees, visit our website. The committees listed in the online process include only those committees with available leadership positions. To be eligible to receive an appointment, you must be a GPSolo member. Join us!
Don’t miss this chance to become involved in the leadership of our dynamic Division that is GPSolo! Complete the online committee leadership application with your first, second and third choices and submit it by February 21, 2014. Leaders will be appointed as directors, chairs/co-chairs, vice chairs, members, advisors and other leadership members.
We will host our Fall Meeting and 9th Annual National Solo & Small Firm Conference in San Antonio, Texas (October 23-25, 2014) and our Spring Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii (April 15–19, 2015). I look forwarding to seeing you there!
I look forward to working with you!
Gain instant access to convenient forms, letters, checklists, and agreements developed specifically with the solo/small firm practitioner in mind. Written by some of the top legal professionals in their field, the material in the GPSolo Division's Forms Library is organized by practice area, making it quick and easy to find the forms you need. Click here to find out more.
Brown Bag Sessions
SAVE THE DATE for February’s Brown Bag Session!
12:00 p.m. Central
GPSolo’s Virtual Brown Bag Sessions are short, informal educational events on timely topics organized by committees and held entirely by teleconference as a Division member benefit at no additional cost. The sessions are held monthly, normally last one hour, and are held during lunch hours. Due to the informal nature of the programs, and the fact that accompanying written materials may not always be prepared and distributed, the Division does not offer continuing legal education credits for these programs.
Some past Brown Bag Session topics included:
- More on How to Start and Build a Successful Law Practice
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: Is It Time to Add It to Your Bankruptcy Practice?
- How to Start and Build a Successful Law Practice
- Premiums to Profits: Attorneys as Title Agents
- Taking the Mystery and (Some) Misery Out of Starting and Developing a New Solo Practice
- The Latest Developments in Chapter 13
- Estate Planning and Tax Law 101 Primer
- The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA): What Every Lawyer Needs to Know
Call for 2014 Solo and Small Firm Awards Nominations
The Solo and Small Firm Awards celebrate the efforts and accomplishments of outstanding solo and small firm practitioners, as well as bar leaders and bar associations. Winners will be honored at the GPSolo 2014 Spring Meeting Awards Program at the Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 2, 2014.
- Solo and Small Firm Lifetime Achievement Award: Recognizes solo and small firm attorneys who are widely accepted by their peers as having significant lifetime distinction, exceptional achievement, and distinction in an exemplary way. The winners will be viewed by other solo and small firm practitioners as epitomizing the ideals of the legal profession and of solo and small firm practitioners.
- Solo and Small Firm Project Award: Rewards bar leaders and associations for their successful implementation of a project or program specifically targeted to solo and small firm lawyers.
- Solo and Small Firm Trainer Award: Recognizes attorneys who have made significant contributions to educating lawyers or law students regarding the opportunities and challenges of a solo and small firm practice.
To submit a nomination for a solo and small firm award, please review the information & application instructions before completing the application. The applications must be submitted by email or postmarked no later than February 28, 2014.
If you have any questions, please contact Dee Lee, GPSolo Program Specialist, at 312-988-5659 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity Fellowship Program: Call for Applications
We are pleased to announce the sponsorship of four Diversity fellowships in the Division during the 2014–15 bar year. The program is designed to promote diversity within the Division and the ABA, while providing leadership development opportunities within the Division for women, attorneys of color, and those with disabilities and persons of differing sexual orientations and gender identities.
Submit your applications and nominations for the Diversity Fellowship Program by April 15, 2014. Successful applicants will be notified in June 2014. For more information about the fellowship program visit our website.
Young Lawyers Fellowship Program: Call for Applications
We are pleased to announce the sponsorship of two Young Lawyers fellowships in the Division during the 2014–15 bar year. This program will provide young lawyers the opportunity to become actively and integrally involved in the Division’s meetings and committees through leadership opportunities.
Submit your applications and nominations for the Young Lawyers Fellowship Program by April 15, 2014. Successful applicants will be notified in June 2014. For more information about the fellowship program visit our website.