The ABA Governmental Affairs Office moved to a new home this month when the association relocated its 250-member Washington staff to new offices.
The association now occupies 61,200 square feet on the fourth and fifth floors of Washington Square, located on Connecticut Avenue in the central business district of the city.
The relocation process began two years ago when the ABA Board of Governors decided to sell the association’s building at 740 15th Street NW. The association had purchased that building in 1995.
This relocation is the most recent step in the history of the association’s presence in Washington, which was first established in 1940 as a one-person office to support the ABA Special Committee on National Defense. Donald E. Channell, the first director of the Washington office, assumed that position in 1957 and launched the ABA Washington Letter in 1958.
Over the years, the Washington office has grown to staff numerous sections, divisions, commissions, committees and the Rule of Law Initiative.
A dedication of the new space is planned for June 26. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be attending as special guest.
The new address is:
American Bar Association
1050 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036