American Bar Association
Forum on Communications Law
The following is a selective bibliography of books and legal periodical articles in communications law that have appeared from December 1999 through February 2000. This bibliography was prepared by Patrick Petit, Associate Law Librarian at the Judge Kathryn J. DuFour Law Library of The Catholic University of America's Columbus School of Law.
MASS MEDIA - BOOKS
- Carter, T. Barton, Marc A. Franklin, and Jay B. Wright. The First Amendment and the Fifth Estate: Regulation of Electronic Mass Media. 5th ed. New York: Foundation Press, 1999.
- Creech, Kenneth. Electronic Media Law and Regulation. 3d ed. Boston: Focal Press, 2000.
- Feintuck, Mike. Media Regulation, Public Interest, and the Law. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1999.
- Graham, Andrew. Public Purposes in Broadcasting: Funding the BBC. Luton, U.K.: University of Luton Press, 1999.
- Marsden, Christopher T., and Stefaan Verhulst. Convergence in European Digital. London: Blackstone, 1999.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS - BOOKS
- Cherry, Barbara A., Steven S. Wildman, and Allen S. Hammond. Making Universal Service Policy: Enhancing the Process Through Multidisciplinary Evaluation. Mahwah, N.J.: L. Erlbaum Associates, 1999.
- Crew, Michael A. Regulation Under Increasing Competition. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- Gillet, Sharon E., and Ingo Vogelsang. Competition, Regulation, and Convergence: Current Trends in Telecommunications Policy Research. Mahwah, N.J.: L. Erlbaum Associates, 1999.
- Huber, Peter W., Michael K. Kellogg, and John Thorne. Federal Telecommunications Law. 2d ed. Gaithersburg, Maryland: Aspen Law & Business, 1999.
- International Communications Law. London: BNA International, Inc., 2000.
- Noam, Eli. Telecommunications in Africa. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- World Telecom Law Report. London: BNA International, Inc., 2000.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS - ARTICLES
- Blumenthal, Marjory S. "The Politics and Policies of Enhancing Trustworthiness for Information Systems." Comm. L. & Pol'y 4, no. 4 (Autumn 1999): 513-55.
- Carey, Kristina D. "Competition Law and the Privatization of Telecommunications Markets in the European Union." Suffolk Transnat'l L. Rev. 22, no. 2 (Summer 1999): 747-74.
- Chong, Rachelle, and Wendy Chow. "Financing Telecommunications Projects in Asia: A Promising Regulatory Perspective." Fed. Comm. L.J. 52, no. 1 (December 1999): 1-19.
- Grushkin, Josh C. "Signal Bleed: Congress Attacks When It Sounds Like Sex." Hastings Comm/Ent L.J. 21, no. 2 (Winter 1999): 501-34.
- Hausman, Jerry A., and J. Gregory Sidak. "A Consumer-Welfare Approach to the Mandatory Unbundling of Telecommunications Networks." Yale L.J. 109, no. 3 (December 1999): 417-505.
- Johnson, Andrea L. "Encouraging Foreign Investment in Developing Countries Through Privatization of Telecommunications." Law/Tech. 32, no. 3 (Summer 1999): 1-34.
- Knieps, Gunter. "Interconnection and Network Access." Fordham Int'l L.J. 23 (January 2000): 90-115.
- Kolnicki, Shari A. "The Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Its Burden on Small Business: An Evaluation of the Law and Its Ramifications on Telecommunications Advances." Cap. U. L. Rev. 28, no. 1 (Winter 1999): 223-48.
- Ku, Ruth. "A GATT-Analogue Approach to Analyzing the Consistency of the FCC's Foreign Participation Order with U.S. GATS MFN Commitments." Geo. Wash. J. Int'l L. & Econ. 32, no. 1 (Fall 1999): 111-53.
- Lapuerta, Carlos, and Boaz Moselle. "Network Industries, Third Party Access and Competition Law in the European Union." Nw. J. Int'l L. & Bus. 19, no. 3 (Spring 1999): 454-78.
- Liebich, Rainer. " Technological Aspects of Deregulation." Fordham Int'l L.J. 23 (January 2000): 145-49.
- Maher, Marcus. "Cable Internet Unbundling: Local Leadership in the Deployment of High Speed Access." Fed. Comm. L.J. 52, no. 1 (December 1999): 211-38.
- McCauley, Patrick B. "Municipal Regulation of Increased Telecommunication Competition." Mich. B.J. 78, no. 11 (November 1999): 1278f.
- Norton, Simon. "Liberalisation in International Telecommunications Market: The General Agreement on Trade in Services" Tolley's Comm. L. 4, no. 6 (November 1999): 223-29.
- Pisciotta, Aileen A. "Regulation of International Communications in the Age of the Internet: Lagging Behind the Future." Int'l Law. 33, no. 2 (Summer 1999): 367-78.
- Schadow, Helmut. "Price Control and Other Regulatory Issues." Fordham Int'l L.J. 23 (January 2000): 122-44.
- Weinberg, Jonathan. "The Internet and Telecommunications Services, Universal Service Mechanisms, Access Charges, and Other Flotsam of the Regulatory System." Yale J. on Reg. 16, no. 2 (Summer 1999): 211-44.
FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND PRESS - BOOKS
- Coliver, Sandra. Secrecy and Liberty: National Security, Freedom of Expression, and Access to Information. Boston: M. Nijhoff Publishers, 1999.
- Fireside, Harvey. New York Times v. Sullivan: Affirming Freedom of the Press. Springfield, N.J.: Enslow Publishers, 1999.
- Lanao, Jairo E. Freedom of the Press and the Law: Laws That Affect Journalism in the Americas. Miami: Inter-American Press Association, 1999.
- Rothenberg, Elliot C. The Taming of the Press: Cohen v. Cowles Media Company. Westport, Conn.: Praeger Publishers, 1999.
FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND PRESS - ARTICLES
- Aaron, Timothy D. "First Amendment Rights: Excluding Political Candidates from State-Sponsored Televised Debates." Fla. L. Rev. 51, no. 5 (December 1999): 975-83.
- Bell, Bernard W. "Secrets and Lies: News Media and Law Enforcement Use of Deception as Investigative Tool." U. Pitt. L. Rev. 60, no. 3 (Spring 1999): 745-837.
- Bernard, G. Chris. "The Child Online Protection Act: Can the COPA Cope with Constitutional Scrutiny in Light of Reno v. ACLU?" Wayne L. Rev. 45, no. 3 (Fall 1999): 1665-91.
- Bierbauer, Erik. "Liquid Honesty: The First Amendment Right to Market the Health Benefits of Moderate Alcohol Consumption." N.Y.U. L. Rev. 74, no. 4 (October 1999): 1057-98.
- Cagle, Jason L. "Protecting Privacy on the Front Page: Why Restrictions on Commercial Use of Law Enforcement Records Violate the First Amendment." Vand. L. Rev. 52, no. 5 (October 1999): 1421-48.
- Calvert, Clay, and Robert D. Richards. "New Millennium, Same Old Speech: Technology Changes, But the First Amendment Issues Don't." B.U. L. Rev. 79, no. 4 (October 1999): 959-84.
- Carmody, Cris. "Applying a 'Persona Test' for Newsgathering Privilege to Food Lion v. Capital Cities/ABC." Nw. U. L. Rev. 93, no. 4 (Summer 1999): 1287-1327.
- Cleary, Eric J. "In Finley's Wake: Forging a Viable First Amendment Approach to the Government's Subsidization of the Arts." Fordham L. Rev. 68, no. 3 (December 1999): 965-1010.
- Cottrell, Jill. "Courts, Freedom of Speech and Defamation." Asia Pac. L. Rev. 7, no. 2 (Winter 1999): 205-27.
- Fiss, Owen. "The Censorship of Television." Nw. U. L. Rev. 93, no. 4 (Summer 1999): 1215-38.
- Halpenny, Diana D. "Reading & 'Riting & Ratings: Does the First Amendment Give the Media the Right to Unfettered Access to Public School Campuses." L.A. Law. 22, no. 3 (May 1999): 36f.
- Howard, Alison P. "A Fistful of Lawsuits: The Press, the First Amendment, and Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act." Cal. L. Rev. 88, no. 1 (January 2000): 127-79.
- Jordan, Lawrence, and Richard Herman. "Content Regulation: Copyright, Rights of Publicity, and Other Doctrines." Mich. B.J. 78, no. 11 (November 1999): 1272f.
- Jurata, John A. "The Tort That Refuses to Go Away: The Subtle Reemergence of Public Disclosure of Private Facts." San Diego L. Rev. 36, no. 2 (Spring 1999): 489-545.
- O'Shea, Kevin F. "First Amendment Cases in Higher Education." J.C. & U.L. 26, no. 2 (Fall 1999): 193-219.
- Redish, Martin H., and Kirk J. Kaludis. "The Right of Expressive Access in First Amendment Theory: Redistributive Values and the Democratic Dilemma." Nw. U. L. Rev. 93, no. 4 (Summer 1999): 1083-1134.
- Sumpter, Randall S. "'Censorship Liberally Administered': Press, U.S. Military Relations in the Spanish-American War." Comm. L. & Pol'y 4, no. 4 (Autumn 1999): 463-81.
- Woodard, John R., Rene Mouledoux, and Barbara E. Rush. "Discovery of Litigation Databases Stored on the Internet: A Basis for Libel?" Fed'n Ins. & Corp. Couns. Q. 49, no. 4 (Summer 1999): 383-405.
- Youm, Kyu Ho. "Libel Law and Freedom of the Press in China." Tolley's Comm. L. 4, no. 5 (October 1999): 178-85.