Focus on the Middle Market and Small Business Committee
The mission of the Middle Market and Small Business Committee is to serve corporate and transactional lawyers who counsel small and mid-sized enterprises controlled by families, entrepreneurs, PEGs or VC firms, and smaller publicly-held companies. The committee provides a forum for sharing information, delivering continuing legal education, and addressing the practical issues of counseling small and mid-sized clients and focuses on the entire business "life cycle" of our clients.
The committee's quarterly newsletter, Business Visions, was published right before the Business Law Section's Spring Meeting from April 4th to 6th in Washington, D.C., and offers great insight into the topics discussed at the meeting. Please note that contents of the meeting are available online.
The newsletter highlights the following two articles:
- "Renting the Space that's Right for Your Business: Things for Tenants to Consider in a Commercial Lease" by Katherine Grossi, which examines certain real estate issues when establishing a business in Ontario, Canada.
- "Captive Insurance Companies for Small and Mid-Sized Businesses" by Sara K. Stock, which discusses microcaptive insurance companies, a form of self-insurance that allows for risk to be converted into tax-deductible premiums which are paid into the captive, and which can in turn produce a tax-advantaged surplus to be used as coverage funding or can be distributed.
Consumer Financial Services Committee
The Consumer Financial Services Committee's Winter newsletter gives a great overview of the resources and programs provided by the committee. With the Spring Meeting several weeks behind us, the newsletter puts the spotlight on the Federal and State Trade Practices Subcommittee and the Truth in Lending Subcommittee, and provides a recap of the Winter Meeting.
Corporate Counsel Committee
The Corporate Counsel Committee's March newsletter provides an overview of the events of the Spring Meeting and features three articles:
- "Distribution in China" by Frank Schoneveld;
- "A Guide to Contract Interpretation" by Vincent R. Martorana and Michael K. Zitelli; and
- "Guidance on the Guidance: What the SEC and DOJ Resource Guide to the FCPA Means for Multi-National Companies" by Aaron G. Murphy and Matthew L. Kutcher.