Spring Conference . . . Mardi Gras Style
Lindsey R. Buchheit is an Assistant Editor of The Affiliate and an Associate with the Sioux City, Iowa, firm of Corbett, Anderson, Corbett & Vellinga, L.L.P.
The American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ABA YLD) and the ABA Law Practice Management Section are set to host a joint Spring Conference, May 14–16, 2009. The Division’s Spring Conference has been a featured yearly event for decades and moves from city to city throughout the United States. This year’s conference will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana, at the Hotel Monteleone.
In store for the anticipated attendance of more than 300 young lawyers from across the nation and a number of international guests are a variety of networking and social events, such as the “Welcome Reception” and the joint ABA YLD and LPM “Mardi Gras World” Dinner and Dance. Aside from these leisurely events, of course, the Spring Conference will offer an exciting program of speakers and presentations. Here is a brief summary of the programs scheduled for the conference.
- The Ins and Outs of Going In-House— This panel discussion will highlight the basics of becoming an in-house attorney.
- Insurance Coverage in Times of Natural Disaster— Presenters will discuss insurance coverage issues in the face of natural disasters.
- Mind Your Own Business! Tips for Understanding What Your Law Firm Needs— The different perspectives of a panel of law firm experts will reveal ways to increase your value to a law firm.
- Writers Workshop— Journalists from the ABA Journal will describe the basics of news and feature writing.
- Domestic Violence in the Workplace— This program will explain the effects of, and how employers can address, domestic violence in the workplace.
- Ethical Implications of Marketing in a Web 2.0 World: From Facebook to LinkedIn, Websites to Blogs —An expert panel will address the rules and ethics of lawyer marketing.
- Gen X/Gen Y: Working More Effectively with Baby Boomers— The ABA YLD Affiliate Assistance Team will present.
- Anatomy of an Appeal, Part II: Persuasion— Experienced appellate lawyers will discuss the art of persuading an appellate court, including writing the initial and answer brief, the differences in advocating to an appellate court, and how to present an effective written brief and oral argument.
- Social Networking in the Workplace— This panel will address the current trends in and ways to manage employee use of social networking websites, use of the Internet and e-mail, and the effects of electronic discovery.
- Administration of Justice in Times of Disaster— Members of the judiciary, law enforcement personnel, government officials, and lawyers who have been affected by disasters describe how they continued their work in exceptionally challenging circumstances.
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest: How to Manage Conflicts Among Potential and Current Clients, Lawyers, and Third Parties— Speakers will analyze the rules related to a variety of ethical issues.
- Mobile Technology: Practicing Law from Wherever You Want to Be— Learn how to improve law office efficiency and increase profits by implementing low-cost mobile technology that allows access to your most important practice information from anywhere in the world.
- Affiliate Programs in Times of Disaster— Affiliate leaders from around the country will describe innovative programs they have implemented to prepare for and respond to disasters and present information about the ABA YLD Disaster Legal Services Program.
- Strategies for Effective Oral Communication: Making Your Best Case to the Jury, Your Client, Your Boss, and Your Audience— This program will offer specific strategies for preparing and giving oral presentations, including suggestions for organizing the presentation, overcoming nervousness, and connecting with the audience.
- Taking Charge of Your Practice in Tough Economic Times— This presentation will provide practical guidance to help you successfully make your way through these challenging economic times, including tips to help you keep pace with demands in the office and the importance of stress management, exercise, and nutrition.
- Becoming a Superstar Associate— Based on the Litigation Magazine article, “Secrets of the Superstar Associate,” the speakers on this panel will discuss the skill set you need to become a superstar associate.
- Operating a Law Practice in Times of Disaster— Experts in disaster preparedness for attorneys and lawyers who have survived disasters explain how to prepare for and continue to operate your law practice in times of disaster.
With so many great programs in store, don’t miss this opportunity to participate in this fun-filled and intellectually stimulating Spring Conference! To register or for more details about the Spring Conference, please visit www.abanet.org/yld/spring09/events.shtml