General Practice, Solo & Small Firm DivisionSolo NewsletterSolo, Vol. 5, No 3.
Spring 1998 © American Bar Association. All rights reserved.
Tape Backup Software on the Web
BY ROSS L. KODNER
Backup software allows you to back up both individual workstations and network hard drives--the latter is a more complex process. These products usually come "bundled" with new tape backup units, but some can back up to removable cartridge hard drives (see "Beyond Tape: Cutting-Edge Backup Systems"). If your workstation uses Windows 95, check out these websites:
- Cheyenne's Backup for Windows 95 software (http://www.cheyenne.com)
- Seagate's Backup Exec software (http://www.seagate.com)
- HP Colorado's Backup for Windows and Windows 95 software (http://www.hp.com/tape/Colorado)
- For networks based on Microsoft Windows NT Server or Novell's Netware or IntraNetware, you need heavier-duty, network-intended software to backup special configuration files. These products are not just for big networks; they are available for the smallest workgroups at affordable prices, and include:
- Cheyenne's ARCserve 6.1 for Netware and ARCserve 6.5 for Windows NT Server (http://www.cheyenne.com)
- Seagate's Backup Exec for Netware and NT (http://www.seagate.com)
- Legato's Networker for Netware and NT (http://www.legato.com).
Spring 1998 Table of Contents
General Practice, Solo, and Small Firm Section home page
ABA Network home page