GP|Solo Division Notes:
- GP|Solo 2007 Spring Meeting
- 2007 Solo & Small Firm Award Winners Announced
- Apply Now for Diversity and Young Lawyer Fellowships
- Listen to ABA Executive Director Hank White's Speech Online
- GP|Solo Members Review New Software
- Solo Lawyers Featured in LPM's Law Practice Magazine
- GP|Solo Book Spotlight — The Constructive Divorce Guidebook
- Popular Topics on Solosez
Note: Information on all this and more can be found on our Website at http://www.abanet.org/genpractice .
GP|Solo 2007 Spring Meeting
GP|Solo Division 2007 Spring Meeting
The Washington Court Hotel, Washington, DC
May 10 – 13, 2007
The meeting will be held at the Washington Court Hotel in Washington, DC on May 10 – 13, 2007. The three-day meeting kicks off on Thursday evening with the Opening Ceremony, including a Swearing-in Ceremony and Welcome Reception at the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. In addition to the various governance committee meetings that will be held throughout the three days, the Division is offering tours of Capitol Hill and the White House. Please join us for an eventful 2007 Meeting in the nation's capital!
View the GP|Solo Spring Meeting 2007 Homepage
Register now at the ABA Meetings Website!
Spring Schedule At-a-Glance
Thursday, May 10th
- Swearing in Ceremony and Welcome Reception at the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. This event is included in your registration fee.
Friday, May 11th
- Capitol Hill Tour
- GP|Solo Sponsor “Thank You” Cocktail Reception
- Solo and Small Firm Awards Dinner to be held at the Washington Court Hotel. Ticket Price is $75
Saturday, May 12th
- Division Council Meeting
- White House Tour
Swearing-In Ceremony at the 2007 Spring Meeting
The Opening Session of the GP|Solo 2007 Spring Meeting will include Swearing-in Ceremonies for both the Supreme Court of the United States and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.
The deadline for applications to the U.S. Supreme Court is April 2, 2007. The deadline for applications to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces is April 18, 2007 ( Note: Civilian attorneys are encouraged to apply for admission to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.). The Swearing-In Ceremonies will be held on Thursday, May 10, 2007, 4:00 p.m., at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 450 E. Street, NW, Washington, DC 20442-0001. Appropriate dress is Business Attire or Military Uniform with Blouse and Tie.
Learn more about the Swearing-In Ceremony
2007 Solo & Small Firm Award Winners Announced
The Division is pleased to announce the winners of its 2007 Solo & Small Firm Awards! The awards recognize dedication to the practice of law as general practitioners or solo or small firm lawyers. Recipients will be honored at the Division’s 2007 Spring Meeting Awards Dinner in Washington, DC on May 11, 2007.
Solo and Small Firm Lifetime Achievement Award
Charles J. Driebe
Solo and Small Firm Project Award
Lake County Bar Association – Judge Ted Klammer
Lake County Ohio Probate Court
(Third Annual Probate and Mental Health Conference)
Solo and Small Firm Trainer Award
Bruce L. Dorner
Listen to ABA Executive Director Hank White's Speech Online
A GP|Solo Online Exclusive!
Did you miss the Midyear Meeting last month in Miami? Well, we may not be able to provide the Florida sunshine, but GP|Solo is offering one souvenir from the Meeting. Now you can download ABA Executive Director Hank White's speech, given at the Military Law Luncheon during the ABA 2007 Midyear Meeting.
Hank White Speech (Feb 9, 2007)
GP|Solo Members Review New Software
In keeping with this year's GP|Solo slogan — DO Something! — several Division members have been at work reviewing useful new technology that may be helpful to attorneys in their practices or in their daily lives. Bruce Dorner has recently reviewed the new software Acrobat 8.0 from Adobe for Lawyers USA magazine. Lawyers USA has made this article available online, exclusively for GP|Solo members:
Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Review in Lawyers USA
And look out for the upcoming issue of GPSOLO magazine's "Technology & Practice Guide," featuring a review of Adobe's new software offering from two sides: Mac vs PC. The piece is by member Jeffrey M. Allen and David Masters.
Solo Lawyers Featured in LPM's Law Practice Magazine
The January/February 2007 issue of Law Practice magazine, published by the Law Practice Management Section of the ABA, was dedicated to solo lawyers. The magazine is currently available online:
Law Practice Magazine
GP|Solo Book Spotlight — The Constructive Divorce Guidebook
Read this book and learn how to help your clients to resolve family disputes in a manner that will lead to long-term results for the families and children of divorce as well as:
- Develop techniques for eliminating or deflecting negative tactics
- Create a framework within which both sides to a dispute feel safe resolving conflicts without damaging the other party
- Maintain civility toward opposing counsel, parties, staff, members of the court system, and third parties affected by the dispute
- Examine alternative dispute resolution and negotiation tactics and methods that lead to "win-win" solutions and encourage the use of the values and principles learned in our various faiths, which can and should be woven into the fabric of our problem solving
- Adopt law practice management methods for the preparation of mediations, trials, and negotiation, which foster civil and courteous conduct
- Implement behavior analysis and modification for lawyers and others involved in the process
GP|Solo members: $44.95
Find out about other GP|Solo books at our bookstore.
Popular Topics on Solosez
Solosez is an email discussion list for solo and small firm lawyers that has grown to be by far the ABA's busiest list.
For a taste of what Solosez has to offer, check out the popular threads on Solosez's Website. Recent threads include:
- Recommendations for a Color Laser Printer
- Phrases That Make You Flinch (Water Cooler)
- Your First Client
- Home Office Lawyer Blues