Volume 19, Number 7
A Field Guide to Section Officers
Section officers in their natural habitat can often be glimpsed between meetings, juggling brightly colored PDAs, cell phones, and briefcases. Although making them difficult to spot, their gray suits provide necessary camouflage that helps them avoid overexposure to vast numbers of viewers.
For the first time, however, we have obtained not only clear, up-to-date photographs of the 2002-03 genus but also collected numerous facts and details about their favorite nesting places, past activities, and migratory habits.
Who Is Karen Mathis?
- A baby boomer born in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Called colorful Colorado home since 1962.
- Suited up as point guard for the University of Colorado Lady Buffs B-ballers.
- During law school clerked in Germany for a U.S. Army judge while her architect husband studied "European Adventure Playgrounds."
- Has attended cooking schools in Bangkok, New York, Santa Fe, France, and Aspen.
- Was invited by a client to play in the Women's British Open but declined to avoid embarrassing them both! Loves golf and has seen the U.S. Masters, U.S. Open, and innumerable LPGA events, often as a journalist.
- Depending upon her mood, drives a '78 Alpha Romeo ragtop, an '86 limited edition Beemer, or her new "girl truck."
- Formerly Chair of the ABA Commission on Women in the Profession; served as the fourth woman officer of the ABA in 125 years; Chairs the House of Delegates; and is the GPSSF Section's second woman Chair. Joined the Section in 1986.
- When not practicing estate, probate, and trust law in a two-person law firm, does bar work, travels to Africa for a safari, or reads a "beach novel" by the pool in Palm Springs.
- Vision: The General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Division will be the largest ABA section!
Who Is Bill Hogan?
- Formally, William T. Hogan III.
- Born, raised, and practices in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Graduated from Suffolk University Law School in 1981 and currently serves as a Trustee.
- Former assistant district attorney.
- Served on the ABA Young Lawyers Division Executive Council and Cabinet.
- When not practicing commercial and banking law and general civil litigation, plays terrible golf.
- A skilled sailor-knows what dead reckoning really means.
- His law firm has a branch office on Martha's Vineyard.
- He and his wife Susan are the proud parents of four children.
- First car was a Chevy Monte Carlo.
Who Is Lee Kolczun?
- Born and practices in Lorain, Ohio.
- Retired from a rewarding career with United Airlines at the age of 25.
- Graduate of Case Western Reserve University Law School.
- Studied gardening at the Cleveland Botanical Garden.
- Served six years on the GPSSFS Council.
- Has never served in the ABA House of Delegates.
- Authored "Business Ventures for Physicians," now available at used bookstores.
- Practices worker compensation and estate planning in a four-person firm after 17 years as a solo.
- Most remarkably, has had two secretaries continue working with him for 27 and 24 years.
- Member, ABA Standing Committee on Solo and Small Firm Practitioners.
- Has his own physician billing company.
- Former Ohio assistant attorney general and assistant city prosecutor for City of Lorain.
- Commissioner on the Avon Lake (hometown) Planning Commission since 1997.
- Member of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland Foundation Board since 2000.
- Chaired the St. Joseph Hospital Foundation Board for six years.
- Served as president of Lorain International, a group of more than 1,000 volunteers of 52 nationalities who organized a weeklong annual festival.
- With his wife Jane parents four Yorkshire Terriers.
Who Is Dwight Smith?
- Born in the middle of the Eisenhower administration (but really doesn't remember much about it).
- 1981 graduate of University of Tulsa Law School.
- Served last seven years on Section Council-four as member at large, last three as Section Delegate to ABA House of Delegates.
- Chaired ABA Standing Committee on Solo and Small Firm Practitioners for three years.
- Served several years on Executive Council of ABA Young Lawyers Division, including three years as Division Delegate to ABA House of Delegates.
- Past chair (too long ago) of the Young Lawyers Division of the Oklahoma Bar Association.
- President (14 years) of the Board of Education, Independent School District Number 8, Sperry, Oklahoma.
- Member, 2001 Oklahoma State School Boards' Association's honorary All-State School Board.
- Practices with Levinson & Smith, P.L.L.P., in Tulsa, focusing on commercial transactions, banking, dispute resolution, probate, and corporate law.
- Married to Vicki DeShong and has three children: Brandon, a new ensign in the U.S. Navy flight school; Ashley, a junior at the University of Oklahoma; and Parker, a high school junior who spends most of his time chasing a soccer ball or basketball.
- Interests include travel, water skiing, snow skiing, attending Parker's athletic events, music, and reading.
- Member, Osage Indian Tribe.