Youth Rights to a High Quality Education August 2009
RESOLVED, That the American Bar Association urges federal and state legislatures to pass laws, and national, state, and local education agencies to implement policies:
1. To help secure the right of every child to a high quality education, including, specifying the elements of that right and fostering its consistent provision to all by schools and local, state, and federal agencies;
2. To improve implementation and enforcement of existing provisions of law and policy designed to enable students to obtain elements of a high quality education; and
3. To enable and assist students and their parents and their representatives in participating in decisions affecting their right to quality education and in understanding and utilizing existing provisions of law and policy and remedying deficiencies in their implementation and enforcement through administrative and judicial relief.
FURTHER RESOLVED, That the American Bar Association urges state and local bar associations, and attorneys to:
1. Seek improvements in state and federal law to protect and advance the right to high quality education, including the enactment of remedies to secure that right administratively and judicially;
2. Make legal representation available to parents, students, and organizations seeking to enforce provisions of state and federal law related to the right to high quality education, in administrative and judicial proceedings; and
3. Provide community legal education and other assistance to parents, students, community organizations, schools, and school systems to aid in understanding and obtaining improved implementation of laws that protect and advance the right to high quality education.
These represent only those ABA Policy Resolutions in which the Commission on Youth at Risk was the principal sponsor.